Liquifying thermal paste

My thermal paste gets rather solid under room temperature and I was wondering how I can safely liquify it. If I try to remove my CPU cooler at room temperature it is pulled out of the socket, which I assume isn’t that healthy in the long run xD. Thus, I have to find a way to liquify it. One option would be to run prime95 for a while and then remove the cooling unit, but this would leave my PC more statically charged, than when it is turned off for a while. Another option that comes to my mind is letting a hairdryer do this work, but is this option safe? Are there any other options available I didn’t think of?

Don’t pull on the heat sink, twist the heat sink off; wiggle it (twisting motion) side to side if needed.

6 Likes

I tried that the first time, but it didn’t budge… all of a sudden I had the cooling unit with my CPU attached in my hand :smiley:

1 Like

Run a heavy CPU benchmark for five minutes or so, shut it down, remove cooler.

Static charge? I’ve seen recommendations for clicking the power button a few times with the PSU off (probably unplugged too, this is always how I work on a PC). I haven’t heard of anyone frying their system this way. I guess it’s possible.

1 Like

I once fried my floppy controller when I was around 13^^

How often are you removing your CPU cooler?

1 Like

Do you still have a floppy controller now? :wink:

That said I believe shielding is much better these days, and it is a lot more difficult to ruin components. You can always ground yourself, that should help immeasurably if it’s even an issue.

2 Likes

Actually not that often under normal circumstances.

However, my Ryzen might still suffer from the segfault bug. I sent one back a while ago, due to the bug (this is when I discovered the CPU-stuck-to-cooler issue), but I haven’t tested the new one yet. According to the new one’s serial number it might be affected too.

Additionally, my water cooler has started rattling and I might have to refill the water and/or replace it with a newer one…

@Steinwerks No floppy controller now - this was many years ago xD
One of the reasons I’m against the CPU benchmark thing is, if my pump dies, there is no benchmark to run :smiley:

So you’ve got an aio, makes sense. Yes twisting is the key but since you’ve got an aio you don’t have the leverage of an air cooler so just use a little more force when twisting

1 Like

Thanks again, I’ll try it the next time (in addition with a hairdryer maybe - my thermal paste gets really solid^^)

Concerning my AIO: As long as it is not rattling, it’s awesome xD

I would recommend caution with the “twisting” recommendation. I’ve seen PGA pins bent that way, if the paste is * really * solid. Don’t twist too far, or apply so much force that you risk wrenching it off.

More of a “rocking” motion might work better. That is (if you’re looking at the motherboard) up and down or side to side. Keep the motherboard supported and laid down flat. As above, keep control so you can stop pulling / ease up as it gets loose.

If it really won’t come loose, and if you can reach under the AIO block, try to release the socket latch and just allow it come up with the block. It’s much easier to separate safely when it’s not in the socket.

On a closing note, I love my Ryzen, but man I hate PGA chips.

You could try softening it up with some alcohol or acetone. Once the paste cures it stays solid as far as I know, unlike the wax used on stock coolers which liquefies when hot and solidifies when cool.