Liquid metal on cpu & gpu advice

Hi all,
I’ve noticed the recent surge in enthusiasm for using liquid metal for delidded CPU and even on GPU. (even in gaming laptops)
I’m very tempted to try and I’ve gotten enough info to give it a shot. nail polish, der8auer delid tool, electrical tape, etc. I’ve gathered all the info on those.
Only info I seem to lack so far is the long term effect. I’ve read in various places that liquid metal can degrade the CPU/GPU die over time. I’m already sold on the immediate reduced temp. but I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with liquid metal on precious hardware for longer than a year. Thanks in advance. :smile:

I have never heard of liquid metal degrading the silicon. Any aluminum heat sink surface won’t be so lucky though.

What I have heard is that the liquid metal TIM will need replacing every 18-24 months.

Although I have been tempted, I have not delidded myself.

1 Like

Liquid metal doesn’t degrade the sillicon, don’t know where you heard that. As for replacing it, only if you notice sudden temps that are higher than “normal”.
I delidded my old Intel 3570K and replaced the already hard TIM with liquid metal and dropped about 15-25C°. The temps are still the same after about 2 years of heavy usage. Though I haven’t glued the HS back on and only hold it with the pressure of the retention system.

Btw. what CPU do you intend to mod?

1 Like

I see… it must have been a random speculation. Mine is a 3770k. (We use the same socket :smile: ) did you use der8auer tool? i’ve also seen rockitcool delid tool but that one seems to have fixed compatibility per tool whereas der8auer tool seems to be compatible for many generations.

ah ok. thx for the feedback :smile:

1 Like

if the CPU is soldered to the board you might be out of luck when it comes to deliding. if the cpu is removable then as long as you take care and reassemble the heat spreader back on the die the possibility of a heat sink issue is minimal. ( gluing the heat spreader back on is a good idea ) If you decide to leave the die exposed and use direct contact to the heat sink use level 110% concentration and be gentle you can crack the die from tightening one side of the heat sink faster than another. ( not all liquid metal is suitable for this as most heat sinks are aluminum and will be weakened) it is best to use a non-conductive TIM of the normal variety when using direct die contact this is an old school trick and what had to be done back in the day.

edited for typographical errors.

As far as I know most integrated heat spreaders are nickel plated copper, going back to at least Conroe, if not earlier.

Plenty of aluminum heat sinks though.

correct my bad was not paying attention to phrasing .

Use gallium instead. Bitch to work with but it’s superior.

would you use something like this for delidding? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3770K-4790K-6700K-E3-1230-7700K-8700K-115x-interface-CPU-Decrimper-Cap-Opener/322952235077?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20180124145912%26meid%3Df02279ec2ec64114b0cb3c275fdbc106%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D142636461545%26itm%3D322952235077&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 you can tell me i’m an idiot for even considering it. :smile:

I wouldn’t recommend it, it looks like a rip-off.
I used the Delid Die Mate from der8auer and it worked flawlessly.

1 Like

ok good. thanks for reassurance :smile: