Linux | zfs 10 | gpu passthought | home server

Hi, i am finally thinking about building myself new pc and have something like this in mind.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Taichi
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3466
Storage: Seagate - IronWolf 2 TB 3.5" 5900RPM x4
Video Card: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Video Card: Asus 970 Strix
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6
Power Supply: SeaSonic - Snow Silent 750 W 80+

I am thinking about changing ram to some hight speed ECC but can’t find concrete proof if ryzen 2700x/taichi supports it or some nice site to see what is out there
I am also considering 280 size water cooling

I want the pc to do these things:

• Relatively silent
  • Media storage
  • Plex/stuff server
  • Docker/Virtual machine images for development
  • Win10 with GPU passthought for some gaming

Host would run on Manjaro with zfs 10 raid.

My main worry is that spinning drives could be to slow for gaming and zfs arc woudn’t compensate for it.

So what do you think. Am I completely insane and should drop it or it could work.
What could be improved? Some hardware access may be limited since i don’t live in big country

Recommend running your OS and the VM virtual hard drives on a Raid 1 of SSDs. Run the Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, Jackett, Samba, and docker containers on the Raid 10 array. The R6 has the space for it and the Taichi has enough SATA ports, so you’d be fine. with 6 total drives.

Also, the Ryzen 2700x PRO version of the CPU would work with ECC memory, but these are only available to OEMs. If you want ECC support, you’d need to go Threadripper

Miss-information about the ECC part. All ryzen skus support ECC(unbuffered, registered is mostly for server parts).

1 Like

Ah my bad, I just did some further digging and the CPU itself does support ECC, it’s just if the motherboard itself will support it properly. Cheers!

It depends what you mean by too slow but you won’t gave any problems running games off of a zfs array.

Yeah, spinning drives are just fine for gaming. We still use them for consoles today. I don’t even think the next-gen consoles will have SSD in them.

Running the majority of my steam library off a RaidZ2 8 x 4TB array. I tested the FF14 Stormblood benchmark as it records loadtimes between each scene and checked the difference between an NVMe SSD, SATA SSD and the FreeNAS array. Loadtimes for the NVMe drive was 16.3 seconds, SATA SSD was 18.6 seconds and the FreeNAS array was 21.3 seconds. Really it’s not going to be particularly noticeable for most situations. Where I could see an SSD still being useful is in something like an open world game where the game is bad and needs to pull texture files from the HDD to load at pop in or something when the character gets to a certain distance of objects, but I personally don’t know of any specific games that does this.

2 Likes