I’m about to build a new workstation with the upcoming Ubuntu 18.04, which I’m going to use for mainly these tasks:
- Virtualization with Virtual Box and KVM/Qemu and Vagrant
- Docker containers
- Building images with Packer
- Web Development
- Infrastructure development with Ansible and Terraform
My workload is usually CPU intensive as I do many parallel builds within VMs (When using Notebooks for that, their fan usually scream).
In addition to that, for Gaming I’d like to setup a VM where I can install a Windows machine and pass an RX 460 I have laying around to it. Also I’d like to pass the second NVME drive to the Windows guest as well. For that, I’ve selected following hardware so far and I’d love to get some input:
- AMD Threadripper 1900X (TR4, 3.80GHz, Unlocked)
- AsRock X399 Taichi (TR4, AMD X399, ATX)
- Corsair RM650x (650W)
- Fractal Define R6 Black (Midi Tower)
- HyperX Fury (4x, 8GB, DDR4-2133, DIMM 288)
- Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 (16.50cm)
- PNY Quadro P400, 2GB GDDR5 (2GB, Professional) - This is purely to Plug three monitors. How is the compatibly with Linux?
- 2x Samsung 960 EVO (500GB, M.2 2280) - Is it possible to pass the second NVME drive to Windows?
- Radeon RX 460 - GPU Passthrough to Windows
I’m looking for as pain free experience as possible especially when it comes to hardware compatibility with Linux and iommu groups of the motherboard.