Linux WiFi problems

As mentioned in another thread I’vre recently installed Manjaro on my MBP. However, the WiFi onlx works once after a reboot.
When I query dmesg when the WiFi is not working the dollowing message is shown:

ERROR @wl_notify_scan_status : 
wlp2s0 Scan_results error (-22)

Edit 1: I restarted again and everything works. Another reboot and no WiFi again…
When the WiFi is not working and I suspend it and wake it again it seems to work. (Haven’t tested if often enough though).

I’ve read lots of complaints about MBP wifi support. Broadcom wifi module? Unless your BIOS has a whitelist, you’d likely be much happier with an Intel, or an Atheros module. Seriously, you can find 'em for 8-$10 on line.

I had Arch on a Dell laptop for a while. Every time a new kernel update came out (+/- every week) the Broadcom module would self destruct and my wifi would die. Fixing it wasn’t a big deal, but it got to be a PIA. The wifi never worked when I needed it and I started to put off updates, which is never a good solution. I ended up getting an Atheros module, but I haven’t run Arch since.

At the time of my strife, Broadcom didn’t support Linux, only Windows and their code is proprietary. Reverse engineering their Windows driver is a massive project. Instead, the driver typically used is a Windows driver in a wrapper. Hopefully this will change at some point, but your issues suggest that it has not.

Best of luck to you.

1 Like

whats the output of lspci?

1 Like

Output of lspci -vnn:

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Limited BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:432b] (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Apple Inc. AirPort Extreme [106b:008d]
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
	Memory at d3200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: wl
	Kernel modules: ssb, wl

Right now, I get it working when I suspend the notebook and wake it up again. It works most of the time.

The broadcom-sta (wl) is a piece of shit driver. Its probably a power saving issue. I dont have any devices lying around that use the wl driver so not sure on what else i can do to help

poke around in /sys and mess about with the wireless card

1 Like

what about ndiswrapper?