Linux upgrade, does my motherboard and PSU cut it for vega 64?

Hello, I’m looking to upgrade my Linux (Ubuntu) machine, which I do everything on from my development (web-related) and gaming at 1080p@60Hz. I’m currently running a Ryzen 3 1200 with 8GB of DDR4@2400 with a GTX 980, and a 650W power supply.

I’m looking to upgrade my CPU to a Ryzen 7 1700x, get another 8GB stick of DDR4@2400, and swap out my GTX 980 for a Vega 64. I’d like to go to AMD also because of open-source driver support.

However, I’m worried about my motherboard and PSU, I don’t know if they’ll cut it for the Vega 64 and I have future concerns about overclocking the R7 on the board as well. I currently have a B350M Gaming PRO motherboard and an EVGA 650W PSU, I forget the rating.

Will I run into any problems doing a CPU and GPU upgrade on the board, and how much power should I ideally have for the Vega 64?

I have about $750 to spare for upgrades and I’m not too sure I’ll be able to upgrade again for a while so I’m trying to maximize the longevity of this upgrade, hence the Vega 64 only for 1080p@60hz.

Current Upgrade Plans:

If anyone could tell me what I should be looking for in terms of motherboard and power issues, it’d be greatly appreciated, and any other concerns I should be aware of.

Power supply and motherboard should be fine. If we looked up the PSU you could check, but you only need 240W on the 12V which is probably fine on any 650W PSU.

I would probably go 2600X instead of the 1700X. I would not try to overclock on that board. 2400 is relatively slow memory for Ryzen, maybe try to push that a bit. Also look at Vega 56, I have seen some crazy deals lately and the difference in performance is not that big.

1 Like

I agree, 650W should be ample, even if the unit isn’t up to the most stringent of standards. I personally have a very similar set up: R5 2600X OC’d to 3.95GHz on a MSI B450M Gaming and Vega 56 on a 650W without issue Even have a couple of drives, an fan, and LED case lighting.

Anyway, for the purposes of gaming and the caveat that you don’t have many heavily threaded workloads, I’d also strongly recommend 2nd gen Ryzen such as the 2600(x), as there is noticeable jump in IPC that will translate to gaming performance edge over the 1700X. Just be sure to update your motherboard BIOS/UEFI before upgrading to ensure compatibility. 300-series chipsets are fully compatible with 2nd gen Ryzen with UEFI/BIOS updates.

Update: Also, I 2nd faster RAM. Ryzen is pretty memory sensitive, and faster speed can make a noticeable difference, especially in CPU-bound scenarios. If you can muster faster memory for around the same price (I wouldn’t pay more than a 10%-15% premium for 3000+). Otherwise try your hand at OCing.

Thanks, updated my upgrade build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mNwJTB - Ryzen 7 2700x, Vega 56, and 16GB @ 3000 for $700. It seems like this is the route to go with the better CPU and faster ram while sacrificing a bit of GPU power. Thank you for the advice.

3 Likes

Assuming 4 fans, 2 HDDs and your config, that puts you at arround 450W from the PSU. So anything above 500W is fine.

It’s not the wattage of the PSU, nor the efficiency rating you should be most concerned with. It’s the QUALITY of the PSU that really matters. The design, build quality, electrical performance and protection features should be the deciding factors.

For a system like this, a good quality, non-group regulated unit of 550 or 650w would be recommended.

@zch What’s the exact PSU model you have?