Linux to Linux RDP

So I used RDP in the title but it doesnt necessarily need to be RDP, I just wanted to emphasize remoting from one Linux system to another.

I have a linux system (Garuda/Arch fork) and Im trying to remote into another Arch based system, Manjaro. I have Remmina on my Garuda as thats my main system and Ive managed to install freerdp client to the Manjaro system.

I went with this because I needed some options that I didnt find with other remote software like VNC.

Needs for remoting:
*Clipboard
*File sharing or mounting a folder from source system to target system.
*Side mouse button support (It works when I switch to the physical system vs trying it remote so I know its the source system not passing the command remotely)

So it seems just installing freerdp client on the system isnt just bam and go like Windows. Freerdp seems like it requires further configuration which Im struggling with.

So far Ive tried setting a username and hostname per the wiki but Im at a loss as I keep getting ERRCONNECT_TRANSPORT_FAIL and other errors similar.

Anyone have any experience with this?

You might want to start with prior threads, like this one:

I did this on Linux Lite and Linux Mint today and used
sudo apt install xrdp

It then works in Remmina if you provide username and password.

I don’t know if all the clipboard and file sharing things work but it seemed OK.

You may want to check out XRDP. Let me find that link for ya. :smiley:

and for Arch

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xrdp

I see someone else suggested.

Best of Luck.

regards

Rob

If you need speed, you might want to take a look at Sunshine and Moonlight. Fast, but network heavy because it’s using NVIDIA Gamestream.

(Disclaimer: I’ve contributed to Sunshine, but only to the build system, not the app itself).

1 Like

Thanks for everyone’s input, Im pretty set on whatever I land on being able to be used by Remmina, can anyone confirm their RDP option of choice is able to be accessed by the other system running Remmina? Ive tried several solutions and either failed completely or been able to connect but no audio/clipboard/file transfer.

If you use Remmina to connect to remote Linux systems with clipboard/audio/file transfer capabilities please drop your distro and remote connection setup below. I just want to move on from this issue at this point with the intended functionality so I can get off Windows completely.

xrdp is easy to install and works with both Remmina and Windows Remote Desktop. It’s a better solution than VNC in mast cases but you may find a RealVNC account better for remote support. I use xrdp for personal use but to do remote support I pay RealVNC for their service.

Ive experimented most with xrdp but found it to be hit or miss with certain desktop environments. Can you drop the distro you use and Ill see how far I get with that.

Seems OK with Mint and Linux Lite.
You should give Remmina your username and password then it takes you straight in.

Yup, thats what I do in the settings page/tab, then from there it remotes in. Ill try Lite and Mint and report back. ty!

I was able to get it up and running with Linux Lite, thanks for your input.

Question tho, do you have the ability to use your side mouse buttons in your remote sessions?

1 Like