Linux Software Suggestions (including remote operations)

Hello my fellow Linux users, I've been running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS since mid last year on my laptop, and it has been a great intro system while maintaining reasonable "just works" status when I'm just using it for general browsing, youtube, travel, etc. Although, I'm still pretty new to the ecosystem especially past Ubuntu. In order to have some more "fun", I'm in the process of collecting parts for a dual E5-2670 system as my first personal desktop in about a decade.

As parts arrive, I'm looking for suggestions and guidance on my software based on the planned use case. This computer will not be critical in the short term as my laptop will stay my daily driver until I'm happy with the desktop machine, so a turn key solution is not necessary. My use case includes fluid analysis codes (FORTRAN 77 because no one likes to start from scratch), NAS (running as a VM if that is reasonable), ability to run a few VMs on the side for random projects, general desktop, and some gaming (Linux only on the desktop at first, but I'm sure I'll wonder back to Windows to run some games in the future. Whether a VM or dual boot would be better I'm not sure.). In addition, I would love to be able to remote into the machine to run fluid codes from my laptop when not on site (CLI is plenty). If you're still reading, I'm open for any and all suggestions for Linux distro, programs which would be useful, and security considerations.

Thanks,
CH4O2

tmux is a must have for me for SSH

1 Like
1 Like

ability to run a few VMs on the side for random projects

virtualbox or virt-manager (i prefer the later)

In addition, I would love to be able to remote into the machine to run fluid codes from my laptop when not on site (CLI is plenty).

For ssh take a look at tmux.
mosh (link) if you are roaming with bad network connections. sshuttle if you want remote access via ssh to your network. Think ad-hoc vpn and comfortable port forwarding / ssh tunneling.

For graphical forwarding, take a look at "X forwarding". I you want a faster teamviewer alternative look at AnyDesk.

For security:

• only install (or keep installed) what you need. Use trusted sources. Think and check when copying commands from websites. Example.

Thanks for the suggestions!