Return to Level1Techs.com

Linux Software List

linux

u can use ANSI on linux I used it to make colorful bootup screens for dos with that, you know when dos wasn’t emulated in doze

OK what about doom engine ports GZDoom, ZDoom and Zandronum - it’s the best game community, I play it once a month at least since '95 \m/ \m/

Emulators: DOSBox, FS-UAE, MAME, ScummVM

And what about a section with only Desktop Environments, it’s a pretty big deal in windows

I wanted to share Insync. I have to use Google Drive for work. For some reason I was under the impression that there would be a Google Drive client by Google for Linux. There isn’t. Insync honestly works better, though. Proprietary, and a little pricey, but it works very well, is less resource intensive than Drive, and makes it feasible for me to switch to Linux.

Try the fork, Nextcloud

Maybe they’ll see. That post of theirs was almost 2 years old.

Apologies. Note to self. Check date of posts.

IT’s fine ^^

Since it´s not on the list I´ll add this one (JRiver).

On my quest to find a decent music player that works on both linux and windows and where I can sync my playlists where mostly everything is on my NAS I stumbled across this: https://jriver.com/

Also works on both wayland and x11. At least on debian based distributions (ubuntu, mint, debian). Not everything always works on wayland, so I had to try that. xD

The website really does not do it justice tbh…

It does not have seperated server software technically. It´s all in the client. But some nice people of the community have made a docker image where you can install it on a headless linux server and interact with the ui of your server via vnc. There is not really a whole lot you have to do, just setup where you want it to get music from and setup a passwort (you need that or you cannot sync changes like playlists back to the server). And then you should pretty much never need to touch the server again.

You could also just put it on a Server that just happens to have a UI. Or put it on your desktop machine and make that accessable. Or not care and just use it as a normal music player.

The docker image I used for this is that one: https://hub.docker.com/r/jatzoo/jrivermc24/

Also looking pretty good with plenty of skin options. Loving it so far.

It´s not free however it´s free for 30 days then you need to activate it. around $79.98$ for the master license that works on windows, linux and macos. You can request a new key 10 times in a year. And with that key you can activate every client within “resonable” quantity (whatever that means), that you want to run. The keys you request are only valid for activation for 2 weeks (i think it was). But then those stay active until the end of time (kinda sorta).

So dunno. Your decision if it´s worth it to you. But for me it deffinitely was. Because trying to sync playlists between PCs has really gotten the better of me over time. Also not really being able to use linux desktops ever cause no musik on it and musicbee only being available on windows sucked. And using something completely different on Linux also sucks cause then you have to figure out how to fix your playlists all the time.

PLEX I found to be not good enough for music and plexamp being even more garbage. So there is that. Both plex and emby are fine for watchable content. If you have a sizeable music collection I´d look elsewhere.