Linux Software List

@sycpuppy I found it.

1 Like

Yeah, when I came across tldr I was thinking it’s a bit slower than man, but a lot faster to get something usefull out of it. Almost every time I use man I forget the previous argument while reading about one that may be the next one I need. All the RTFM’s back when I started linux but some of those man pages where it is 1-3 screens full of text for an argument that I was sure I would never need by the time I got done reading about it.:laughing:

Especially the ones where it has an argument that isn’t even used anymore or has been removed but is in there for historical reference and you don’t find that out until you get to the end.

Looked at that post. That was when I was in the middle of moving and didn’t have internet for almost a month.

Team Speak 3
VMware VMplayer

1 Like

Have used this for years, first for Windows now under Linux.
http://jdownloader.org/

From the wiki:

JDownloader is a download manager, written in Java, which allows automatic download of groups of files from one-click hosting sites. JDownloader supports the use of premium accounts.[1] Some parts, but not all, of JDownloader are open source.

It seems audio playback is well covered here, but a few things are missing.

CD Ripping and Sound Conversion

Sound Juicer - A simple, GTK GUI tool for extracting audio files from CDs. Configurable enough to support a wide variety of sound formats, but simple enough that Grandma could use it after you set the right output options. To rip to mp3, the ‘lame’ package must also be installed.

Sound Converter - A simple GTK GUI tool for converting audio files from one format to another. Multiple source and output formats supported, and an honorable mention for making good use of multiple cores and threads for the transcoding process. This makes it very speedy, and faster than most command line tools which tend to loop through files, rather than parallelize them. Install ‘lame’ to rip to mp3.

MusicBrainz Picard - A not-so-simple Qt tool for tagging and identification of music files. The greatest feature of this one is the AcoustID fingerprinting system, that will actually scan the audio content, generate a fingerprint, and then match the files based on what’s actually in them. This dramatically reduces false positives. Honorable mention for being named after a great Starfleet Captain, and for having the “Ok” button say “Make it so!”.

1 Like

Keep those passwords SAFE!

Pass - the standard unix password manager

Password management should be simple and follow Unix philosophy. With pass, each password lives inside of a gpg encrypted file whose filename is the title of the website or resource that requires the password. These encrypted files may be organized into meaningful folder hierarchies, copied from computer to computer, and, in general, manipulated using standard command line file management utilities.

1 Like

RAW processing / developing of digital images. Very VERY mighty tool.

[Homepage]

2 Likes

this is a questionnaire that might help people decide on a distro.

1 Like

“Please be careful when using development versions. Create enough backups if you’re using a production database with Password Safe. It is possible that data loss will occur, though I give my best that this will never happen.”

:+1:

You can now have your desktop icons for good on Gnome desktop.

1 Like

If you guys enjoy writing, Bibisco is a great tool available on Linux operating systems.

Had been looking for something similar to Scrivener on Linux. This comes pretty damn close.

http://www.bibisco.com/

1 Like

Lollypop for audio playback. Evince for document reader. Seconding pass for terminal based password manager. Also cowsay and fortune because why aren’t those there already??!!

Just for setting the record straight, you now can use Firefox to watch Netflix and other DRM’d media :wink:.

3 Likes
  • Flameshot ( screenshot software with nice quick editing )
  • Stacer ( user friendly system monitoring program )
  • Etcher ( very easy to use boot stick creator, not sure if it works for Windows boot sicks )
1 Like

WPS Office ( Microsoft office file support, 700million users cross platform, cloud and mobile support )

This should probably be removed or marked as no longer maintained. Last version was released 2017-06-15 which is a shame as it was a very good looking office suite that showed allot of potential.

Did they cancel development? I loved that software.

They sent out a tweet out more than a year ago stating that development of the Linux software has been put on halt. Hopefully this is only temporary.

2 Likes
3 Likes

#facepalm

Never saw this post, glad they are continuing but they haven’t had an update in more than a year.

Free to download but needs an e-mail address and a user account, but it used to be $60.

Tracktion 7 is Freeware btw not fully FOSS.

1 Like