Linux Pro Tip Thread

I use tmux if i don’t have an X session to work in. I have not had much time with screen, mostly because of laziness

I realise most people who use this forum are in their early twenties and just getting their feet wet in the world of linux, but as I remember it, tmux started gaining popularity in 2009. Yeah i’m old and in my thirties.

Also, you missed the most common combination “Use vim + tmux”

2 Likes

YASSS

2 Likes

Screen + Vim :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Tmux with Android or Chromebook?

Yeah, I know.

$ sudo adduser -s /bin/vim vimuser

Use PowerShell to ssh into workstation that has tmux, resume tmux session :wink:

2 Likes

Is it possible to ssh into a windows machine yet? I really wanted that when windows was still relevant.

2 Likes

Apparently

1 Like

Current stable PowerShell v6 comes with native ssh. Obviously it’s on the testing (preview) branch as well.

1 Like

You’re not old, i’m 41 :smiley:

(hence, i run screen, because i was doing that 12 years before tmux existed :smiley:)

1 Like

Wow, that’s awesome. I must try openssh & clang-cl and bash for windows.

I moved from screen to tmux a couple of years ago. Vertical splitting, 256 colors, splitting moving and joining panes, and a decent set of docs are very very nice compared to screen.

1 Like

You shouldn’t have made it anonymous. It’s important to identify and shame the Powershell heathens.

4 Likes

I voted PowerShell but I use Terminator and tmux

2 Likes

But what if I wanted to use vim under pwsh with Alacritty using tmux on Linux :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s too much word salad. Marketing team violation, immediate promotion to management

4 Likes

As my first roll in management everyone now has to use pwsh with tmux on Linux :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I’ve got many more Linux command line arcana polls in me:

• kermit
  • minicom
  • cu
  • putty
  • hyperterminal

0 voters

My action in response is to use this opportunity to forward my career and find work elsewhere.

1 Like