Linux Printing Hell

So I splurged around Black Friday and got a Brother HL-L2340DW wireless laser printer.

I have yet to get it working with Fedora.

Every two or three weeks I decide to sit down and attempt to get it to work. I have yet to succeed. All that happens is I get frustrated and depressed.

Brother actually provides Linux drivers as well as pretty detailed instructions on getting things installed and working. However, try as I might, I just cannot get it to work. I have tried connecting the printer via both wireless and USB.

Anyone have experience with getting stubborn printers to work with Linux? If I can't get this to work I will attempt to sell it on craigslist or something.

If anyone wants to help me out, here's a link to the driver page: http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2340dw_us_eu_as&os=127

1 Like

I wrote that and then I decided to give it another shot. Spent about an hour or two this time as well.

I was disappointed again.

I actually tried the bash script they provide this time. I deleted everything it complained about already existing, essentially starting from scratch.

The printer shows up, but when I go to print a test page nothing happens.

Just for shits and giggles, here's what the script looks like:

[marasm@optimusprime Downloads]$ sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1
Input model name ->HL-L2340DW
You are going to install following packages.
   hll2340dlpr-3.2.0-1.i386.rpm
   hll2340dcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.rpm
OK? [y/N] ->y
rpm -ihv --nodeps --replacefiles --replacepkgs hll2340dlpr-3.2.0-1.i386.rpm
Preparing...                          ################################# [100%]
Updating / installing...
   1:hll2340dlpr-3.2.0-1              ################################# [100%]
rpm -ihv --nodeps --replacefiles --replacepkgs hll2340dcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.rpm
Preparing...                          ########################################
Updating / installing...
hll2340dcupswrapper-3.2.0-1           ########################################
lpadmin -p HLL2340D -E -v usb://Brother/HL-L2340D%20series?serial=U63879H6N883267 -P /usr/share/ppd/brother/brother-HLL2340D-cups-en.ppd
#
semanage fcontext -a -t bin_t /opt/brother
restorecon -R /opt/brother
semanage fcontext -a -t cupsd_rw_etc_t /etc/opt/brother
restorecon -R /etc/opt/brother
semanage fcontext -a -t cupsd_rw_etc_t /opt/brother/Printers/(.*/)?inf(/.*)?
restorecon -R /opt/brother/Printers
semanage fcontext -a -t cupsd_rw_etc_t /etc/opt/brother/Printers/(.*/)?inf(/.*)?
restorecon -R /etc/opt/brother/Printers
semanage fcontext -a -t bin_t /opt/brother/Printers/(.*/)?lpd(/.*)?
semanage fcontext -a -t bin_t /opt/brother/Printers/(.*/)?cupswrapper(/.*)?
restorecon -RFv /usr/lib/cups/filter
restorecon -RFv /usr/lib64/cups/filter
setsebool -P cups_execmem 1
Will you specify the Device URI? [Y/n] ->y
0: serial:/dev/ttyS4?baud=115200
1: https
2: lpd
3: beh
4: ipp
5: smb
6: http
7: socket
8: ipps
9: hp
10: usb://Brother/HL-L2340D%20series?serial=U63879H6N883267
11: hpfax
12: dnssd://Brother%20HL-L2340D%20series._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/
13: lpd://Brother0F51FB1C/BINARY_P1
14 (I): Specify IP address.
15 (A): Auto. (usb://Brother/HL-L2340D%20series?serial=U63879H6N883267)
select the number of destination Device URI. ->15
lpadmin -p HLL2340D -v usb://Brother/HL-L2340D%20series?serial=U63879H6N883267 -E
Test Print? [y/N] ->y
wait 5s.
lpr -P HLL2340D /usr/share/cups/data/testprint
Hit Enter/Return key.
[marasm@optimusprime Downloads]$

I even went so far as to (hopefully, possibly) disable sleep mode, thinking it wasn't waking up when I tried to print. I had to boot my Windows 7 laptop and follow these instructions: link Didn't help.

And then, of course, there's this: http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Brother/Brother-HL-L2340DW

"works perfectly"

I have to be doing something wrong.

Have you checked out generally how to setup printers? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS
Is a good reference.
I'm at work atm can't delve deeper into your issue for another 8 hours

3 Likes

I have a Brother 6520DW and it works flawlessly over wlan. I remember setting up their drivers as well, but on Ubuntu. I just paired it on the network, installed the software using the bash script, and it has worked ever since. I don't reinstall my computers so it has been a while though.

What happens if you go to printer settings and add a device manually? The drivers seem installed, and as it is USB connected the GUI should detect it. I would also skip the URI step, on the instructions I read they recommend not setting this for USB.

Fedora/RHEL and OpenSuSE/SuSE are sometimes a bitch to install printers on because of the choice of rights management inherited from the enterprise versions. It is what it is, it's pretty stupid, but it will remain because both Fedora and OpenSuSE are upstream to enterprise distros and that's where the money comes from, and in enterprise circumstances, unprivileged users do not get to install a printer themselves, let alone have a local printer pretty much.

What usually works is to use the install script or utility provided by the manufacturer. Linux users usually buy HP printers because of the long standing tradition of hplip and the super ease of use of the CLI pseudo-GUI "hp-setup -i" utility, but Brother also has a very good linux reputation. I'm not familiar with Brother printers personally, but I think Brother provides a CLI install utility. I would suggest using that. GUI install utilities rarely ever work in Fedora/RHEL and OpenSuSE/SLES.

3 Likes

You could try putting selinux in permissive mode while installing the drivers and see if they work.

If they do you can then add the custom policy for the drivers and set selinux to enforcing again.

I got an HP printer for the reasons zoltan pointed out. They work. I installed hplip and added the printer on the gnome printer settings. Done.

1 Like

I just tried it all fresh on my desktop, also running Fedora 25. The printer is connected to my network via wireless. I used the CUPS web interface, and it is so much easier.

I eventually ended up doing lpd://192.168.0.145/BINARY_P1 for the connection and it works. It defaulted to some stupid thing for the address and kept saying it couldn't locate the printer.

The really weird thing is I made an exact copy of the settings for the printer on my desktop on my laptop, and it will not work. I need to figure that out.

SELinux is in permissive mode. I will have to do some research into what's the best way to have that set. Also, I am trying to keep away from HP products.

1 Like

this is why i have one old laptop running ubuntu. its plug and play with that system. i dont care to configure to my main linux box

2 Likes

I have absolutely no idea why I can print from my desktop and not from my laptop. It is the most bizarre thing.

I run the bash script to see what files it complains about, then remove all traces of those files (essentially the printer drivers), then I add the printer via the bash script, then edit the printer using the CUPS web interface. It is identical to the printer setup on my desktop, and I followed the exact same steps in the exact same order. I even tried adding the printer IP address to my hosts file, but just figured out that does nothing on my desktop because I changed the IP of the printer just a bit ago and didn't update the hosts file.

And yet it won't print.

There has to be one tiny thing that's different, and I am just missing it.

Oh well. I am happy I can at least print on my super cool wireless laser printer. Just a pain to have to save whatever I want to print as a PDF, throw it on the file server, open it on my desktop, then print it.

1 Like

But you can still access it via wifi? Can you ping it?

Yes, I can ping the printer from my laptop.

I definitely am pickin' up what you're throwin' down.

HP printers are nice for the ease of install with hplip but the model for the revenue stream for the desktop printer segment is ridiculous.

If there is a member out here with a Brother printer that has the InkVestment setup,

maybe let us know how that system works over time.

Cheers

Currently, someone is having issues getting a brother printer to work, go figure.

here => https://forum.level1techs.com/t/urgent-i-need-to-know-a-model-of-either-an-epson-or-brother-printer-that-just-works-in-linux/113342/4