Linux phone

Does anyone have a real tangible suggestion on a linux phone?

yeah android is also linux but obviously I do not mean that.

Also I am not looking for ‘expected shipping in x months’

3 Likes

We’ve got quite a bit of coverage on various things in the Linux Phone Hub thread.

Lots of Pinephones, not many Librems. A few very good LineageOS phones also do PostmarketOS and Ubuntu Touch.

Sxmo isn’t just a meme. :gigathink:

4 Likes

Not many options unless you’re ok with Ubuntu Touch or Sailfish from what I can tell.

PinePhone is cheap, and fun to play with, but it’s not very realistic to daily. I believe evey it can run every Linux phone OS though.

I daily a Nexus 5 running Ubuntu Touch and it’s a pretty good experience as long as you fully understand you’re not getting any Android or IOS apps.
Oh, and carriers are dropping support for it. Doesn’t work on ATT, but works with Mint Mobil.

I just ordered a Pixel 3a to put Ubuntu Touch on, and it will likely be my new daily, but I can’t say anything about it until I get it setup.

1 Like

thanks all for your contributions. when I look for pinephone all I find is
“” Estimated dispatch in late April 2021 for preorder placed before April 18, estimated dispatch in mid May 2021 for preorder placed after April 18.

This is too fague and untangable for me ;(

I am looking for something that actually can be bought now

1 Like

Its a very niche product that you are looking for and companies really dont do Linux phone production in bulk because normies dont care about them and therefore not profitable.

Your best bet of here and now is a used Nexus 5 phone.

The next best thing is probably a Sony Xperia phone (not sure exactly which variant). Those can run Sailfish OS (paid product) and maybe something more functional like a Lineage OS.

1 Like

My PinePhone just arrived. yay
First thought: I got the beta edition(no logos) and this device is sexy.
From the outside nobody would ever guess this is not a perfectly normal smartphone.
There are no logos or markings on it anywhere except the tiny PinePhone logo between camera and flash.
Fit and finish is good too. There is no flex, everything fits perfectly.
It’s a bit larger than I expected(A little wider than and taller than my old Galaxy S7). Screen bezels are fine as well IMHO(compared to my S7: side bezels about equal, PinePhone has smaller bezels at the top/bottom).

1 Like

sweet, can you please share the unboxing experience one way or another? perhaps some vids shot would be great.

I am trying to avoid the obvious sponsored unboxing / reviews of any device. especially this niche

Here’s a list of UT compatible devices.

Do your own research though. I bought the Volla phone when they had it as one of the most compatible devices, but data doesn’t work on ATT or Mint Mobile. REEEEEE
They since have moved it down the list. They probably favored it since it ships with UT.

I am doing research, only to find one obscure failed crowd sourced attempt after the other. I will admit though that I might not be searching with the correct search terms.

Earlier suggestions regarding buying used also seem a dead end as I have been trying ebay now all sellers do not ship to my country (Europa)

hmm it’s hard

No listings currently for sale :frowning:

if only I could actually buy one :wink:

Anything special you would like to see? I only have a sh*tty phone camera.
It comes in a white box, containing only the Phone, a USB-C Cable(red), a SIM adapter, the spartanic Quick Start/Manual, and (if you ordered it) the dock.
Other than that; You might want to wait a little while for the initial boot. You also want to install updates(might require restarting the device, it will tell you). Installing a lot of updates in the background slows down the device significantly.

As I’ve just gotten it I can’t tell you much about the software yet. It ships with Manjaro Plasma, and a few pre-installed apps.
Personally, I think I’ll be trying Mobian. I’m most familiar with Debian, plus Mobian has an installer that supports FDE.
If only my SD-card reader wouldn’t crash my notebook…

I just installed the update and the virtual keyboard is crashing so much that it’s barely useable :smiley: I often need to hard reboot because the lockscreen fails to show the keyboard as it’s stuck in some dead state.

It’s very beta right now, I’ll be trying postmarketOS on it soon :slight_smile:

Ordered volla phone Ubuntu touch. Now we pray it arrives within specified shipping statement of max 4 weeks

1 Like

Oof, do you not need data?

Please do let me know if data works for you. Mine might have a problem.

I also want to mention, they sent me the wrong color, and OS.
I ordered gray with UT, they sent white with Android.

They were willing to send me the right one, but I couldn’t be bothered to deal with the process.

IS there any fine print I might have missed while ordering the volla UT phone?

I am under the assumption that is is a fully functional phone and will work without issues in Europe.

1 Like

They are Germans after all, at least it seams so

Ah, I’m in the US. That’ll be cool. I really wanted to use mine as my daily.

this underlines my initial point. It is nearly impossible to get your hand on one and it just works

1 Like

this needs to change. I for one am shaking the tree and getting my contact to move over to signal from Facebooks’s whatsapp. It’s hard work

1 Like