Linux Phone Hub

Update worked out smoothly, however, the problems I was having remained, and a few apps I used didn’t have an update for it and didn’t work after the update, iirc webber, and tweaks.

I would like to know more about the default swap management settings and also the ootb and optional cpu gov. settings.

sudo cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

To change without a reboot:

sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=10

For cpu frequency options

sudo cpupower frequency-info

or add the governors option as well. I would believe that setting the cpu slower, and undervolting all possible components would help save lots of power.

Would it be possible to use the console to input a call as to reduce the need for a full desktop for all tasks?

I can’t speak to any of those points, E-Waste. I am curious if anyone on this thread knows if the PinePhone Pro has yet reached the daily-drivability of the OG PinePhone. Last I tuned in, it was considerably worse battery life, and perhaps had some other shortcomings, in spite of the superior performance.

Really what I need to do I guess is do the emmc speed tweak and some other tuning on the OG to get it to perform at its best, which sorta ties back into E-Waste’s questions.

anyone on this thread knows if the PinePhone Pro has yet reached the daily-drivability of the OG PinePhone. Last I tuned in, it was considerably worse battery life

https://xnux.eu/log/081.html

There are power consumption metrics on the Pinephone Pro in various conditions in Megi’s devblog.

2 Likes

X86 Linux app running on pmOS (aarch64)

7 Likes

Dang, that looks good!

1 Like

I had a Sway setup on it with custom touch gestures, but I had to reinstall and I didn’t back up my config. I might try to remake it sometime though.

3 Likes

Touch-based Sway seems novel as hell. Very curious to see it if you’re able to reproduce it.

2 Likes

Avoiding librem

Is that PinePhone Pro by chance?

It is a OnePlus 6.

1 Like

So how is call / sms reception with 4g? Are there any cli message or call programs?

How stable is the system using the various interfaces, and if not used, what is the idle battery runtime?

I’ll add to that.

Specifically on SMS, can you receive pictures?

My main Linux phone is a Pixel 3a that runs Ubuntu Touch. It works pretty good aside from pictures never have worked, though on the site they say they do.

I know SXMO has some cli like SMS programs, but I haven’t used them, and I actually don’t use a SIM card cause I have access to wifi most places I go. I might just get a basic dumb-phone if I need to make a call for whatever reason.

Now running Mobian (Debian 12) on my OG PinePhone daily driver. Life has gotten pretty good. The PinePhone is slow, but seems like everything works pretty reliably these days. I still haven’t given the KDE side of things a chance. Maybe I will put one of those distros on an SD card at some point, but quite happy with Mobian.

Any updates on whether PinePhone Pro has reached daily driver status wrt battery life, etc? Any new similar phone hardware options?

4 Likes

Is it actually decent now (probably still not a daily driver).

Interesting that the OG PinePhone has actually more mileage than the Pro version.

It’s better than decent, according to my standards, which are admittedly low. I have used as a daily driver for nearly 2 years. It’s still not without occasional hiccups or rough edges, but I am really liking it overall these days. Note: I’ve never been an iOS or Android daily driver, so I’m an unusual case.

1 Like

I actually pulled down my PPP to see how things are going with it, but I haven’t taken the time to install a fresh OS on it yet.
It right here on my desk just waiting for me to feel like messing with it

1 Like

Mobian is a solid option, not sure what the KDE flagship distro is for PinePhone. Think ubuntu is sadly still not a daily driver option for PinePhone.

Thanks to the work of the Mobian developers, Lomiri is officially in Debian now.

Phosh was fully supported last Mobian release, Plasma is the focus for the Trixie release, and I would bet Lomiri is the future release target.

Manjaro’s the current “flagship Plasma” distro, but development images of Mobian felt better when I tested them a few months back.

3 Likes