Linux Phone Hub

Has anyone tried Arch on the PinePhone?

I briefly tried DanctNIX and was not pleased. Jumped ship after about an hour. That was awhile back though.

2 Likes

I’m looking through the software releases, and I spotted one called Nemo Mobile, which is a open source build of Sailfish OS. I’ll have to give that a try on my UB PinePhone.

Right now I’m trying to setup my Manjaro PP with Mobian in hope to daily it.

2 Likes

Apparently this was well over a year ago that I tried Arch, so… that faint memory of a brief impression should not be given any regard.

2 Likes

on the ppp arch is p good. For now i daily it until i have the time to make a slackware distro for the ppp

2 Likes

That is really good to know.

How’s battery life?

1 Like

on regular use when not consooming content its pretty good, when consooming content its not great

2 Likes

I REALLY want a good linux phone but Pinephone is under powered, and the other options are buying a android phone and flashing a ROM.

But Manufacturers are slowly making it impossible to do that by locking the bootloader.

and as a side note. I love my Z Fold2 but DAMMIT SAMSUNG let me have my GODDAMN ROOT. It’s the perfect compute device in my pocket if I could do what I want with it.

There is a underground way to unlock the bootloader on it but it’s risky and limits the charging to 80% iirc. So there isn’t even active rom support for it.

I like the Astro Slide, but screen is too small. Love the physical keyboard and dual boot support for full linux. If someone magically somehow made a samsung fold with a physical keyboard and dual linux support, I’d throw my money at it so hard.

2 Likes

What parameters would you consider ok?

latest snapdragon whatever at the time, good amount of RAM

Even if someone created something like this instead of creating another sbc, the price will be rather high and probably higher than something similar from commercial equivalents. And then there will be people who will say too expensive… :wink:

you might want the pinephone pro if you need zooooom

did you get onto Mobian? I am finally looking to replace my emmc install of manjaro with something, and the latest “weekly” mobian installer image I’m seeing is Aug 21. Not sure why the weekly builds stopped, or if they’ve moved. If there’s a big release imminent perhaps I should wait for it.

I saw pmOS blog mentioned they have swipe Phosh now, so I installed the latest to emmc. Sadly the latest installer hasn’t actually been updated since that blog post, but running an update updated Phosh.

2 Likes

install arch, mobian is behind updates witch is not great lol

Copy past that phone but add official SailfishOS, Ubuntu Touch, and LinageOS and you’d have the Pro1 X which is already available (they ship in batches though). It also has an OLED screen. I’m kinda thinking about getting one. It cost quite a bit though.

I used to be very happy with my Pixel 3a running Ubuntu Touch, but at some point I stopped being able to send or receive calls.

1 Like

I got it all installed, and once again updates were failing so back on the shelf my PinePhone goes. I can’t believe something as important as OTA updates is always broken. I really feel it’s got to be me somehow.

I’ll probably try pmOS next time I feel like messing with it.

Was interested in the pro 1 when it was coming out but I kinda stopped paying attention to it. Did some searching and saw that the postmarketos wiki page for this device says that Danct12 has one.

If postmarketos or danctnix (arch) gets ported to the pro1 x I’ll probably pick one up, I needed a new main phone anyway. Even though the CPU is weaker than my current phone. It’ll finally convince me to get off AT&T because I doubt this will ever be in their stupid supported devices whitelist.

1 Like

This is the world that I am in… I just bought a pixel 6, unlocked the bootloader, and then proceeded to remove all the google from it.

The camera and hardware are nice. Google has security updates promised for 5 years. I just don’t like the google software. I have my own custom rom that is up-to-date with security patches and only has the google software that I want in it.

2 Likes

I do believe there are apps you can install (rooted) that will fake google services api calls if you want to use an app without installing google spyware.