Linux Phone Hub

Nice.

Same. New android updates are pushing some Orwellian as fuck features.

I can live without spotify.

3 Likes

oh you little.

Fucking lit

1 Like

Supposedly Ubuntu Touch is working on getting Android apps working, and they’ll run in containers.

Soon™. I want to be setup by the weekend.

3 Likes

is that a brand new nexus 5? if so how did you get you hand on those?

I’ve seen this. Anbox or whatever.

I remember x86 had a problem with it, I’m curious if that’s because of instruction translation or what. It’d be really nice to be able to have spotify on my pinephone.

1 Like

It’s used. I bought it on eBay and it was “mint”… So the post said. It isn’t/wasn’t though. I’d say it has normal wear and tear at best with a new screen. And they shipped it in a padded envelope with no box. Ugh. It works good, so whatever.

This

2 Likes

Soldering irons weren’t enough, PinePower is coming.

It will be able to easily simultaneously charge the Pinebook Pro, the PinePhone and PineTime at the same time. It can also be used to power the Pinecil.

Megapixels (Camera app) viewfinder now operates at 30 fps, autofocus and exposure handling features have been added.

Megi’s 5.10 kernel greatly improves power and thermal performance. Manjaro users should see the update roll out soon.

Keyboard design is nearly finalized. It does not look like this.

The unofficial PineEye thermal camera might become official.

In non-phone news, PineCube now has a case.

external-content.duckduckgo.com

5 Likes

Dang. That power supply is sweet

1 Like

My glass screen protector arrived yesterday, and I put it on this morning.

As dumb as it sounds… Until today I was not 100% sure that Pinephone came with a plastic screen protector. Part of me was concerned that the screen was just kind of cheap and poorly aligned, and that I risked breaking the panel if I pulled harder.

It was unfounded. There’s a plastic screen protector. :laughing:

The glass one is a lot easier to clean, but picks up smudges like crazy. The smudging isn’t noticable when the screen is illuminated. I did some testing with Ubuntu Touch and touch capabilities seem normal.

Application is easy. Peel and stick. Alignment is a bit harder, and removing the screen requires you be very careful since the screen protector is brittle. My second placement was good and the adhesive didn’t complain.

Should I get a second Pinephone, I’ll try to grab a GIF of the adhesion visual. It’s oddly satisfying.

1 Like

Maybe this is wasteful of me, but I figured since a replacement screen is $25 (iirc) and the edge of the glass is curved so all screen protectors will end up having a substantial lip, I opted to go with no protection.

2 Likes

So you are admitting on the Internet that you like to ride dirty? /s

2 Likes

Finally had time to catch up on this thread and fiddle with my Pinephone a bit more. I have Manjaro Phosh Beta4 currently on the SD card.

I found this 12 dollar USB C phone dock that works with the Pinephone, but you might need to update the USB C controller’s firmware before it will work. I did, as mine is the UBPorts batch, so had older firmware. You can boot the latest “factorytest” image and run the diagnostics to update the firmware.

https://images.postmarketos.org/pinephone/

Oh yeah also if your Pinephone is UBPorts or older you have to do that VCONN Mod https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_Modding#VCONN_mod

1 Like
2 Likes

Hmm wonder if that will trickle down in an update soon or if I need to grab a fresh image. I switched over to Mobian the past few days, activated service and sim on Jan 1 with RedPocket (T-Mobile). Calling and texting inbound and out works fine in Mobian. Haven’t tried Manjaro calling yet.

2 Likes

Friendship ended with oneplus. Now Pine64 is my best friend.

2 Likes

I somewhat regreted my purchase of the iphone SE 2020. The battery life was too dismal to reach the end of my work day. I also feel a certain smarmy feel from the whole Apple thing.

I maybe want to try Graphene OS (but I dont own a Pixel) or maybe I could get a PInephone once my Oneplus 5 finally dies.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=12679

KDE Community Edition shipments to the UK may be cancelled or delayed. The EU warehouse is no longer able to fulfill orders for UK purchases.

1 Like

With the KDE Community Edition coming up, and KDE having made a new release, I decided to play with Plasma.

I apologize for the craptastic pictures, but Kwin-Wayland still doesn’t support screenshotting. This is particularly notable that KDE’s own screenshot gallery contains a much older version of Plasma Mobile. :laughing:

These come from the Neon-based reference rootfs, found here. Specific version is from Christmas Eve, here. No newer images have been built, but updates have come from apt and they have been applied.

This is the basic launcher/start screen using Breeze Dark. Wallpaper and icons are default.

Pin entry and unlock

Wow! Much icon. Many app.

Subjectively, Angelfish is the fastest mobile browser I’ve used so far. Feels faster than Firefox on Android, and faster than Epiphany on Phosh. Default search engine is DDG.

Most importantly… despite disliking the font, I like the Maliit-based keyboard better than any others I’ve used on mobile Linux so far. Much more fat finger friendly.

Obligatory Level1 forum screenshot.

Settings menu

This mostly works fine, but it’s tightly integrated with Discover, and Discover needs a lot more work before it’s a sane mobile app. As it stands now, it needs a lot of unintutitive side-menu swiping because of the desktop design.

The settings menu itself, however, seem minimal, mobile focused, and well-designed.

Appearance settings

Overall, I’m very happy with the progress of Plasma Mobile. Versions from a few months ago were unstable to the point of unusability, but I got no lock ups and crashes this run.

My chief complaint is that Spektacle doesn’t yet support Wayland. More specifically, Kwin-Wayland doesn’t yet impliment any methods for screencapture that Spektacle can utilize.

I think perhaps this is especially frustrating to me because “Let’s move to Wayland” has been accompanied by missing features and non-graceful degradation since Wayland has been a thing.

Fortunately, the development if Plasma Mobile is still not yet considered stable by the KDE devs, so I expect this to improve. I may even be willing to contribute to a bounty to add Wayland screenshot capabilities to it, but I need to figure out how KDE handles such things.

5 Likes

Every time I use Plasma (the Manjaro version), after updating through Discover, I just get a black screen and can’t use the phone anymore. I take it the Neon image updates are working?

2 Likes