Linux PC Build Help 2015

Hi there, I've been struggling to find much in the way of PC builds specifically for linux. I am planning a PC build as my daily productivity computer, running ubuntu or mint.

The computer will be for general productivity, photo editing and some light video editing. I was hoping to find lists of other peoples builds for linux but there are generally ones that people have build for either gaming or super budget builds.

I just to make sure I have a list of components that are as compatible with linux as possible and I was hoping people here to make some suggestions??

I have been looking at haswell or skylarke CPU's but I obviously want to get best value for money. So any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Here's my build so far, I already have an SSD so its not included in the list below

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/DYTRP6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/DYTRP6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor (£234.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£44.17 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£68.35 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£155.20 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£36.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£67.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £607.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-03 16:12 BST+0100

Do you need a dedicated GPU?
Your build looks fine to me, in terms of compatibility. The motherboard you chose has a Realtek ALC892 on-board audio and a Realtek 8111F-VL LAN chipset. You may want to search if (linux) users had problem with those.

Smart move to go with on-board Intel graphics. You'll have no graphics issues, whatsoever. Intel is well-invested in the opensource community. (Sure, the on-board graphics might not drive big heavy games, but for everything else it'll run smooth)

Looks a pretty good spec. You've made a good choice in avoiding the latest hardware, as sometimes it can take up to a year for Linux to catch up. There are plenty of Linux users on this site using graphics cards and I'm one of them. It seemed to be reasonable to go with the one recommended for my mobo and I've had no issues at all. However, @bnorgd makes a good point, you can always add one later, if necessary.

Good luck with your build.

Thanks guys for your suggestions, I would also appreciate GPU recommendations too? The 2GB GPU cards look reasonabilty well priced, but again I would like the most compatible.

Also many people seem to use Xeron processors so is there any advantage of these for a general PC/workstation build?