Linux (openSuSE) steam library on secondary harddrive

Huh.. that doesn'ŧ seem right... Well I haven't used SuSE in a while, so it might be the way it works now. Anyway, do this

cd /run/media/nuculus/DATADRIVE1
sudo chown -R -v nuculus:root *

I've done the second thing btw the one which compromises security still no luck

OK where ever the HDD is mounted whether mnt or mediause the command chown user /path/to/file -r

1 Like

still no luck

You need to be more specific. Did it throw an error in command line, did the steam not react to the change,...?

Still gives me the exact name message as it did before, it seems that steam means something else by execute permission

Try shutting down steam, do

sudo chmod -R 777 /run/media/nuculus/DATADRIVE1

run steam and try to make the library. Maybe steam refuses to refresh the permissions while it's running

No change, I'm trying to reboot, maybe there's something runnning in the background which prevents steam from recognizing the changed permission. Btw the drive is a drive which I have to mount everytime I boot up (basically have to type in my PW to get access) maybe that's any indications of what's wrong

So rebooting didn't help, and I think I'm calling it a night. But thank you very much, you've been a huge help and I've actually learned a bit today.

Ha... that might just be it. You may need to edit fstab to make you system mount the drive automaticaly during boot.

first of all, run this command

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

copy the uuid of your drive somewhere.
make a new empty folder somewhere (for example in your home folder) -

mkdir /home/nuculus/datadrive1

then edit fstab by running

sudo gedit /etc/fstab and add this line

UUID= /home/nuculus/datadrive1 ntfs-3g defaults,uid=1000,rw 0 0

I don't claim to be a guru.. If you find a fault, please correct me, so I can learn.

i run manjaro and i used this video to help me. i just replaced names and places with my preferences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAgWug72-mQ&list=WL&index=102

let me know if it helps you out. hope for the best !

I assumed he used NTFS for his secondary drive (coming from Windows). Otherwise having to deal with 4GB limit is a pain. I see your reasons... I'm sorry if I misguided him. Gotta learn from my mistakes. Plenty of people solve problems this way, picked the wrong habits on my way, I suppose :/

Steam on Linux will not cooperate with either NTFS or Fat32. You have to make an ext4 partition in your secondary drive and use it to store your steam data there.

GUI solution:

On OpenSuSE with Gnome, hit the meta key and start typing "disks", an app called "disks" will be shown, and if it isn't shown, install it first by typing into terminal "sudo zypper in gnome-disks" and giving the admin password.

Then open the app "disks", and you'll see a list with all the drives on your system, and a graphical representation on the right of the contents of the drive selected on the left. Select the 3 TB drive on the left, but don't highlight any partitions on that volume on the right. Click on the small gear icon beneath the overview of contents on the right, and you'll get a screen with preferences for the entire drive, including "edit mount options".

Unselect "automatic mount options", and select "mount at startup". Click "OK" to apply, and close the disks app.

From now on, the 3TB volume will be mounted at boot, and will show up as a mounted drive throughout your GUI. In nautilus (the file manager), you'll be able to access the permissions in the preferences just like in Windows.

2 Likes

About that UUID thing, it crashed the machine and I couldn't get in the OS anymore, I'm reinstalling everything as we speak.

Is gnome mandatory? 'cause I use the KDE UI

I was using NTFS, well editing the fstab crashed the whole system :/

I did, I did it exactly like instructed, maybe the other stuff I did before had something to do with it, any idea how to do the GUI way in KDE?