Linux on the Acer Swift 3 (SF315-41) - Memory & reboot problems

That’s ok.

Basic users can’t add them. But once you level up thru the trust levels you can add them.

If you want me to add some let me know. Although each thread is limited to three tags.

1 Like

That’s great, I’m trying that now (used this command: cpupower frequency-set -g performance), I’ll let you know how it goes

EDIT: I’ve also enabled the cpupower service and set performance as the default governor on /etc/default/cpupower

OK good to know, I read somewhere before posting that I had to add the tag helpdesk if asking for help, thanks for adding it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I left the computer running all day on Saturday and it didn’t freeze :grinning: however I barley used it that day, now I’m back at the office if it goes trough the whole day without freezing we can call this a success.

Just freezed on me so… :sob:

Edit: and it happened again, I’m going to set the governor back to its original value.

You need to add the APIC kernel command line I linked to in the other thread with the ThinkPad. You also need to ensure your CPU doesn’t enter deeper C-states. Entering deeper C-states also cause freezing.

I’ll try that then but I don’t think APIC is causing the problem now because I’ve run this command:

stress --vm-bytes $(awk '/MemAvailable/{printf "%d\n", $2 * 0.9;}' < /proc/meminfo)k --vm-keep -m 1

Which fills 90% of the available RAM and after some minutes the machine freezes everytime, I’ve also noticed high RAM usage at the times the machine spontaneously freezes.

All of this is consistent with my original observation that it crashes when a VM is running and is also consistent with the “test” I ran on Saturday in which I left the machine on and IDLE for 10+ hours with no problems.

I hope the RAM is not at fault because this piece of crap has it soldered on.

Tomorrow I’ll give that APIC fix a try anyway… if you think it’s worth the trouble given the new evidence.

You might need to run a select multicore test of Memtest then. Don’t run the entire memtest test suite with multicore cause one has an impossible to solve bug which can never be fixed, so they left it unfixed. Run a specific test known to work with multicore on a loop.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean, this is what I’ve done:

1. Downloaded https://www.memtest86.com/ into a USB stick
    a. Default tests: 4 passes with 1 core (skipped hammering on passes 3 and 4) - No errors.
    b. All tests except hammering 1 pass on 8 cores on parallel - No errors.

2. Downloaded http://www.memtest.org/ into a USB stick and tried to boot from it only to realize that apparently it won’t boot on UEFI mode and I don’t have the option to run the computer on “BIOS” mode.

Anyway, since no errors occurred I guess the OS is at fault here, right? or is it inconclusive?

Update, I’ve done this:

1. Enable the Magic SysRq Key by doing echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq as root.

2. Run the stress test (stress --vm-bytes $(awk '/MemAvailable/{printf "%d\n", $2 * 0.9;}' < /proc/meminfo)k --vm-keep -m 1)

3. Confirm that Alt + SysRq + F actually works and kills the highest memory consuming process (which is in fact the stress test).

But after the computer freezes that key combination has no effect which means that the machine is beyond unresponsive and has actually crashed, right?

I’ve tried installing more OS:

• Windows 10 - No memory nor reboot problems
  • Fedora 28 - Same memory & reboot problems
  • Ubuntu 18.04 - Same memory & reboot problems

I’ve also tried installing OpenSUSE thumbleweed and Debian but got into some issues with the installers and didn’t think it was worth the effort since the outcome was likely to be the same.

Finally I’ve tried Ubuntu 18.04 with no swap but got the same results.

I guess this is a kernel issue since 3 different distros are having the exact same problem.

I’ll go back to windows next week so I can keep using the computer for now and look into buying a new notebook that it’s proven to work right with Linux and has similar specs (although hopefully more memory).

Thanks anyway FurryJackman for the help and Goalkeeper for the edit :wink:

1 Like

I encourage you to check back on the Lenovo E585 thread, cause the Acer models seem more troublesome to work with because of stupid warranty voiding things like having no 2.5’’ SSD support or stuff like that.

Great, I’ll look into that one, I was also looking at Dell’s XPS line too.

It’s hard to get them where I live (Uruguay) since there’s no much to choose from on the local market and what little there is is ridiculously overpriced, I got this Acer while on vacation in Italy, anyway this last paragraph was just to unload some of my frustration :expressionless:

Thanks again for the help and for the tip on that Lenovo.

hello, OP, has the power usage been improve with latest kernels and drivers?

I couldn’t get Linux working on that notebook so I wouldn’t know

with the latest firmwaare BIOS andgood updated kernel I thinkyou aregong to be luck
have you tested ubuntu LTS last image?(it has linux 5.0) with an updated bios it has to works well

I already had the latest BIOS but I’ve been running the stress test for 10 minutes on the new Ubuntu LTS live usb and there are no signs of trouble! :grinning:

I need to do another longer test on Manjaro (that’s the distro I wish to use) but I’ll have to install it in order to update the kernel so I don’t know when I’m going to get the time to do that. I’ll post an update when I do.

Thanks for the suggestion I was about to buy a new notebook already! :V

okey, can you tell me the power usage in idle with linux?
have you windows in your laptop too?
I am going to return an asus with amd ryzen and I had very high power usage in linux… I dont want to have other laptop with high power usage in linux, it is why I am asking for power usages in your laptop, that I plan to buy
in linux you can see with sudo powertop and in windows you can see it with hwinfo, sensors, battery
all the tests with min brightness and 0 apps

PD: in my asus laptop I had 12 W of power usage in idle and with windows I had 4,59W…
pD2: I have read some comments that this laptop has a discharge of 7 percent each 24 hours. Have you suffered this too?

Ok, I got excited about the possibility of having Linux working on this machine so I stayed up late the other night and installed Manjaro, after that I siwtched to the latest available kernel and tried the stress test with no luck, the machine froze again (tried different versions of the 5.x kernel on Manjaro with no luck). After that I’ve installed Ubuntu 18.04 and left the stress test running for 30 minutes with no issues, so right now I’m running Ubuntu with the Cinnamon DE and have been working on it normally with no issues :slight_smile:

To answer your doubts, I find the battery life on this machine is really good, on Windows I could work all morning on a single charge (about 4hs) even running a VM on the background, on Linux I haven’t noticed any difference on battery life.

I’ve found that the machine will use battery even when turned off, I usually leave it fully charged, unplugged and turned off on the weekends and on Monday mornings it won’t have 100% charge (I don’t remember how much less)

powertop output (min brightness, no programs open):

The battery reports a discharge rate of 8.66 W
The power consumed was 163 J
The estimated remaining time is 4 hours, 11 minutes

Let me know if you want any more info and thanks for the heads up about the new kernel, you’ve saved me from buying a new laptop :slight_smile:

Okey. 1Do you use tlp? Can you give me the output of sensors, battery (in the hwinfo program) min average and max power in Windows ? The same as powertop with Linux(0 programas min brightness), it is for compare one power usage with the other in idle.

2Other thing is the power consumption when the pc is power off. The next time can you count the lost percent and the hours have you let it off? The forums ihave read tells that is 7 percent per 24 hours. I think this is too much…

4In manjaro I have not found any problems with newest kernels in the Asus(ryzen 5 3550h+and Rx 560) I have returned. Only the power usage … Can you try the last kernel in Ubuntu and put the output of sudo powertop for seeing if there is an improve with newer kernels? Other thing you can see if there is freezes with other kernels in Ubuntu (if you don’t know how to install newer kernels in Ubuntu try it with manjaro )

5Tell me the output of cpupower idle-info

pD : much thanks and pls for all of these questions and sorry again por these shitty tests, I have returned one laptop, I don’t want to return other …
I want to buy amd for price and graphics but if Linux and amd is not good combination… I will go for intel :frowning: with no Nvidia Nvidia os the shittest thing in the world xD

I’ve started having issues again, the computer froze 3 times this morning so I strongly advice you and anyone that wants to use Linux against buying this machine. Don’t think it makes sense to run those tests now :frowning: