Linux on my Gaming Rig

I've been using Zorin OS on my laptop for about a month now. I can honestly say that I really wan't to move away from windows altogether, but being that I don't know all that much about Linux, I don't know whether it's a safe bet to install something like Ubuntu on my main rig. My only concern at the moment is the maturity of Video drivers. I'm using an NVIDIA card, and I've heard good things about them working well with Linux, but I just want to know if there's anything else I should consider.

Here are my specs in case they may be of concern

Alienware Default X79 Motherboard

Graphics card: Nvidia GTX 690 (referece model)

8GB RAM @ 2133MHz

i7 3820 OC'd @ 4.4GHz

1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD's (2 in Raid 0)

500GB HDD

120GB Intel SSD

Samsung SyncMaster BX2250 @ 1920x1080

With a gaming rig like that you need windows for your games. You can easily partition Unbuntu on your harddrive and boot it up when ever you want to use it. There are not many games compatable with linux yet so it kinda seems like a waste to only use linux on your machine. 

well, not alot of games run on linux natively, and not all games work with wine. also, I don't think that linux can use ntfs formatted drives, so make sure that all the stuff you want to access in linux is formatted exFAT

enjoy zombies at 150fps http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/

Thanks for the input.

With all that said, I'll probably just stick with Windows for now. I imagine (or hope, at the very least :P) that more and more games will be developed to run on Linux natively. Looks like that could happen soon considering the path Microsoft is taking.

I hope everyone will start making games compatable with linux soon as well. Lets face it, PC gaming is expensive and if we can avoid paying $100+ on Windows for custum PC's it will make PC gaming even more popular I think. 

I tried booting Zorin OS live off the install disc on my main rig. A few weird things happened. I would post pictures from my camera but I'm not sure if you can do that on these forums :P

http://zorin-os.com/images/splashscreen.png

this is what you're supposed to see when you're booting into the OS (at least that's what happens on my laptop).

When I tried booting on my desktop I got some sketchy looking loading bars that sandwich a text that says "[64.361396] EDAC sbridge: ECC is disabled. Aborting"

I did eventually get into the OS, but the video drivers were a mess, I couldn't do anything except shut the system back down :S

All (or at least most) linux OS ship with the free drivers which lag a few years behind and the performance is bad. But as soon as you install the graphics driver from Nvidia/AMD it should work fine.

The error looks like a kernel thing so you might just use a OS with a newer kernel and try again...

No Linux can veiw ntfs partitions and transfer files to and from them.

It is Windows that cannot see any partitions formated in ext* or ReiserFS or what have you.

Linux can even be installed on a ntfs partition if you use a certain hack.

I may give that a try. Thanks again for the help everyone.

use unbuntu or mint.

I was planning on doing that if I ended up switching. I was just testing it with Zorin OS. Now that I think about it, it wasn't my best idea :S

I don't know whether it's a safe bet to install something like Ubuntu on my main rig. My only concern at the moment is the maturity of Video drivers. I'm using an NVIDIA card, and I've heard good things about them working well with Linux, but I just want to know if there's anything else I should consider.

Seems like people have resolved this, but to answer you directly, linux has matured considerably in recent years, i'd say there's nothing unsafe about installing ubuntu. As for nvidia, the proprietary nvidia drivers work extremely well, and will have no trouble running games. I've got steam running on arch and personally i haven't experienced any major issues.