Linux on a Macbook - Experiences

OpenSuSE Tumbleweed with KDE and the sinaptics packages installed. The input control panel on KDE allows you to configure the trackpad but “sensitivity so high that the trackpad register clicks just by hovering my finger above it” and “sensitivity so low that I must press with considerable strength to register a touch and that makes drag and drop impossible” are literally a pixel between each other on the configuration slider. Since I work with the laptop having to select something from Konsole or Terminology was making me insane.

1 Like

Installing Linux on my MBP is on hold for now. First, the WiFi card doesn’t seem to work. Which is ironic, considering it testet Manjaro i3 on another notebook with a BCM43224 chipset and my Mac’s WiFi has a BCM4322 chipset. While people on the Internet seem fairly certain that this is fixable, I had really bad experiences with wifi-drivers in the past.

Furthermore, installing Nvidia’s proprietary drivers seems to be a hassle:

While everything is certainly doable, I’d have preferred a faster approach in general. Hence, I’ll probably wait some time before trying it again.

I’d probably sell the old MBP and get something else for Linux.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone would pay much (or anythying) foe this MBP. It has a core2duo @2.4GHz, 4gb ram, a geforce 320m and a 120gb ssd I put into it, which is some medicore ADATA ssd.

You’d be surprised by what cult members will do :slight_smile:

I mean that’s a fair point but I think you’ll get a slight speck bump if you “trade” it for something non-mac.

1 Like

Up to 2012 the lowest low end macs had core 2’s in them, but they were basically i5’s with shittier memory controllers. Mostly the white macbooks though, and those sold for a while. I’d imagine some of the unibodies had them too.

1 Like

My MBP was rather cheap^^

Anyway, to those interested. I changed my mind yet again and installed Manjaro. Given the fact that it is already installed in EFI mode getting Nvidia’s proprietary drivers to work was rather difficult. However, the WiFi still does not work properly. I got it to work two times, but it never persists a second reboot :frowning:

1 Like

welcome to broadcom

Yeah, but they weren’t macbook PROs as stated in the OP :smiley:

The macbook pro went core i series in 2011 at least. My early 2011 is an i7-2720qm

i have a macbook2,1, and as far as linux, I found antergos to be easiest, mainly for the AUR and skipping all the usual archduos (heh…) installation tasks just to get up and running. for whatever reason, KDE was the smoothest experience, though I prefer gnome. hard to remember, but I think it had something to do with the trackpad.

Apparently, the broadcom-wl-dkms driver wasn’t installed properly the first five times and it now seems to work again. (For the time being).

As mentioned above, my MBP has a Core2Duo…no i CPU…