Linux now more used on Azure than Windows

Just saw this article today, and it honestly doesn’t surprise me. This is very interesting though that Linux is surpassing Windows in this aspect. Very promising in my view.

4 Likes

It makes a lot of sense really, a lot of software in this kind of infrastructure is made primarily for running on Linux systems in mind. Microsoft has bridges some gaps between the two platforms as well and running mixed infrastructure is actually very easy these days. So it doesn’t surprise me.

1 Like

This has been the case for several years, yeah?

Never mind, in 2017 it was “about half and half, based on load”.

I remember the days when they bought hotmail, which used to run on Solaris and FreeBSD. it took them 2-3 attempts to get it off FreeBSD because Windows just couldn’t handle the load on the same (or even more) hardware.

I remember this. My hotmail account was so screwed. I lost so much work because of this. Fun thing is, I still have this account!

Changes at Microsoft started when Linux Subsystem for Windows project began which clocks in around 2017, for the typical “workplace” having a “mixed” Azure service wasn’t cheap–they wanted a customer to use Windows or Linux.

Microsoft “free tier” is likely helping Azure stats and the larger shift of supporting Linux has changed how locked down their services used to be. In the earlier Linux support on Azure there were some stupid limits to push the Windows Server side. Amazon’s AWS was chipping away at Microsoft for a long while too.

From what I remember Hotmail was such a mash up of OS and hardware like early Google & Yahoo so it took a good chunk of “work” to consolidate then migrate. Outages of email more than likely made users jump to other providers, I think older Hotmail users only stuck around mostly due to needing a Microsoft Account for MSN Messenger, MSDN or XBox Live.