Linux Novice Struggling with Ubuntu Install (NVMe drive/partition not detected)

The NVMe was wiped clean and only has Win10.

I have no problem switching between drives in the UEFI, since I’ve pretty much resigned myself to doing so with this system. However, it’s a little annoying to have to wait an additional 90 seconds when booting into the Ubuntu drive to reach the log-in.

Yeah it is and this is not normal.But I have no idea how to help you.

well, glad to see it’s working. . . sort of.

It’s apparent at this point there is some issue with UEFI and NVME here.

As to how to fix it, that’s going to probably require more in depth knowledge than I can muster.
It certainly seems to me there is something off here about how the system is handling UEFI, but I’m not sure how the boot partition is getting created when using Ubuntu.

Here is the Arch wiki page on UEFI:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

Here is some more info:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/EFI_examples

As you can see, EFI can be tricky depending on the platform. I have a feeling there is something here that can help, and if it were me, I’d install a very basic system using arch to figure out what was up (not recommending you do this as it’s a terrible rabbit hole).

I do think using EFI to switch is a bad option as it really degrades the experience, but hopefully you can use some google fu to find a workaround soon.

typical dual boot installation depends on grub or lilo boot loader being installed.
it one reason that linux distros recommend installing linux first (during partitioning set up an ntfs partition for windows) and install windows second
then install windows in that partition. grub or lilo will be edited to the os added to its files or you may have to manually edit it.
but i dont use dual boot so things might have changed since i went to linux.

But if you are installing on separate drives, during the boot process you can select the boot media by hitting the designated F-key and selecting the proper drive.

I think with everything that’s happened I’ll just keep the 860 EVO (maybe upgrade to 500GB), install Ubuntu on that, and just remove the NVMe drive altogether for this build.

The only purpose of Windows was to play games, but 1) I have a bad habit of distracting myself too much with games 2) I could learn more about setting up a pci passthrough using a Win10 vm.

Thanks again for your help! It’s really been comforting just knowing there was someone to talk to, even if it didn’t work out

1 Like

Actually I’m using the exact same board, running into the exact same problem–Linux cannot detect my nvme drive whatsoever. So it seems to be a motherboard problem. There’s not much we can do now really, but when you upgrade your rig, be sure to change into a mb from a different OEM–that should solve the problem.

1 Like