Linux noob hurdles

Nothing, empty response. Yeah, it works well on Windows I use it every day with my keyboard. I didn’t want to swap hardware also because HP has been sneaky and blocks the system from booting if detects a different wifi/bluetooth card. Thanks a lot for all the help, I really really appreciated it!

One last idea sparked in my teensy lightbulb: check if there’s any hp drivers messing with you

lsmod | grep hp

Lemme know if it prints out anything like hp_wmi or the like

hp_wmi                 16384  0
sparse_keymap          16384  1 hp_wmi
hp_accel               28672  0
lis3lv02d              20480  1 hp_accel
wmi                    24576  3 hp_wmi,wmi_bmof,mxm_wmi
hp_wireless            16384  0

This is what it says. Can’t see anything referring to the bluetooth.

No but since bt & wifi is on the same card, blacklisting the hp_wmi driver might just do the trick if we’re lucky, and you should be able to load the rtbth module.
The wmi module iirc reads the state of the nic & decides if you can activate the switch for both wifi & bt, so if your bt would be hardware blocked or the like then that could’ve been the issue this whole time.

sudo echo ‘blacklist hp_wmi’ > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-hp_wmi.conf && reboot

If we’re unlucky it’s gonna break your wifi and not even fix bt for that matter.
If that’s the case then just remove the file you created.

sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-hp_wmi.conf && reboot

I’m going to take a shot at this tomorrow maybe. I wasted way too much time on this thing today. To be honest I’m not liking all of this messing around for nothing. I think that there are machines inadventertly made for Linux and some that are not. I happend to be unlucky and my notebook is not made for Linux.

I know the feels, but things are usually fixable once you figure out what’s causing which issues. Might be the hardware, might be the software.
I’ve had laptops that needed some blacklisting for devices to work properly. Heck even on a thinkpad.

you do know that uefi bios ( secure boot) was designed to prevent anything but an authorized os from installing ( a micro sith trick to f### over anyone’s chances to install linux)
but going into bios and disabling it works around that.
(Im highly surprised they haven’t made the bios uefi only! ( But that would be a mistake that could bring legal charges against the makers)) as we all know lawyers just love anti competition lawsuits

Well the Nvidia driver is working flawlessly. I can switch manually between the integrated graphics and the Nvidia one. Why this driver shouldn’t work because of secure boot?

Dude, I am so glad I read your thread within a reasonable time frame so that you don’t have to beat your damn head against the wall like I had been for weeks and suffering reinstalls after reinstalls that would seem fine for a few days until things just broke all over again.

This problem is almost certainly due to a UEFI bug in your notebook. Especially since it happens to be an HP notebook that is also a few years old, which are said to be the most commonly affected.

Basically, the issue is that it doesn’t read EFI variables the way its supposed to in its boot list and duplication occurs if you have multiple operating systems installed bare metal. If the list becomes too populated, eventually it becomes impossible to boot anything unless you can manually specify which boot device you want in the UEFI (which is so absurdly inconvenient if you’re dual-booting bare metal, that it’s basically not acceptable.) The reason it got past testing is because the vast, vast majority of computer users only use 1 Operating System, and it works just fine like that.

This is also why it proved very difficult for me to find any results in research! I ran into this head first on my old 2014 motherboard (Asus Z-97 AR, one of the few standalone motherboards affected instead of laptops) and at last found other users on various parts of the web who could confirm the same thing was happening on some of their hardware.

Anyway, try to research the problem for your specific laptop just in case I’m wrong/not getting the whole picture, or somebody’s found an actual solution, (and try updating your firmware if it’s not already,) but everybody I’ve ever talked to says that they had to give up EFI and just install all of their OSs in Legacy mode/MBR or use virtualization in a host OS exclusively–and I have been booting everything in Legacy since (which works for me anyway, thankfully).

Good luck for whatever your course of action will be from here on out.

1 Like

I’m already at this stage and I don’t mind that to be honest. Thanks a lot for the headsup, I’ll immediatly start searching how to fix that issue. I can’t update the UEFI because the update takes away the option to enable virtualization, which means no more VMs and I really need those.

P.S. all the entry you see in that pic are in the UEFI, not in the bootloader.

Id get rid of the 25gb virus(window$), or run linux as a VM, Running both along side really doesn’t play nice, with secure boot, and all what that brought along(UEFIs), it really has been a one or the other situation, personally i haven’t dual booted for several years.
M$ Specifically designed UEFI to hinder this scenario. And if you get it running you just risk M$ killing your extX partitions in some forced update.

I need Windows for university purposes so I can’t really get rid of it and I’ve got couple hardware stuff that require Windows to change options into them.
The best thing I can do is switch off secure boot. A friend of mine has been quad booting I think two distro, W10 and Mac OS and never had Windows nuking other OSs.
Linux in VM is not really suited for day to day use. I tried but it’s too slow and not as stable as having it installed bare metal.

The only thing to remeber is, to install Linux Last. Your Linux Bootloader can handle booting any OS. If you install Windows Last, it won’t be able to boot into Linux after that.
If you’re changing around OSs, you might need to update your Bootloader under Linux after that. Maybe even by booting a Live distribution etc.

So yeah, if working with multiple OS’s on one Disk, install Linux last and everything “should” be fine.

I appreciate your answer but the conversation is starting to drift away from the original intent. Dual booting is not an issue for me and I need Windows. I can’t make the bluetooth work as of now and I really need it to work under Linux.