Linux Mint Intel AC 3160 BT and AC support?

good day
i searched quickly but didn't see this particular question asked
it appears that using the AC 3160 adapter with Linux mint works but from what i see it only supports abgn but NOT ac unless i am wrong
also this has integrated bluetooth but LM isnt recognizing it at all and i dont see any additional drivers for it in the driver section of settings
i am running 4.4.0-79 generic in LM18.1 and i just updated this today

i am sure that i need to supply more information but i am unsure what so if someone could possibly answer this with more info then please tell me what command to run in terminal so that i can post the output
this is a toshiba satellite c675-s7103 with the wifi card swapped out and replaced with this ac3160 as i had it in another machine that died on me, and the original card if i remember correctly only supported N

here is what i am assuming may help:

lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev b5)
00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 7 (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3160 (rev 83)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 05)

and finally:

iwconfig

wlp2s0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"johnson"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: EC:1A:59:28:F7:BC
Bit Rate=150 Mb/s Tx-Power=22 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:on
Link Quality=66/70 Signal level=-44 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:3 Invalid misc:1768 Missed beacon:0

I've never used the 3160, so I don't have any insider info. I did, however, find this interesting. Note that under the "Supported Operating Systems" topic, it indicates that only "Limited Features" are supported under Linux. You may wish to dig a iittle deeper here, before making a project out of this.

1 Like

thank you...i found similar things but still wasnt sure as i havent found anything explaining it 100%
im in it already since i replaced the N-only (w/o BT) adapter so i havent really lost anything and when i throw my Win10 drive in there i DO of course get all of that functionality so it isnt a total loss but is annoying
thank you again @BarkingMad

Maybe you could try a later kernel like the 4.8?

This says that "Most features are not available on Linux."

Intel 3160ac requires kernel 4.1, preferably 4.2, or higher. There are also microcode updates associated with each kernel, which can be manually downloaded and installed, but honestly Mint does a good job of managing microcode, so manual intervention should not be necessary.

Out of curiosity, I've been trying to determine what "Most features are not available on Linux" means, but without success. If you need Bluetooth functionality, you might consider stepping up to an Intel 7260. That's about the newest WLAN adapter that they offer, which still fits the miniPCIe slot. Intel went with the M.2 form factor for their newest offerings. Any way, the 7260 can be had on ebay, for less than $20.

1 Like

yea im running 4.4 without BT at all or AC....im a bit concerned that the newest microcode listed will work with 4.2 but possibly not 4.4 but i will read up on it...thank you for sending me that
mint showed the CPU microcode update which i am using but nothing for the wifi so, fingers crossed that this may work...will see

thank you!

I have a laptop with an Intel 3160ac and one with an Intel 7260ac and I've had no problem with Ubuntu 16.04 and Linux Mint 18 with either wifi chip.

1 Like

is the computer running with the 3160AC able to actually use it in AC mode or is it only working in N mode?
also does bluetooth work on that adapter as well or no?