Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon Released

I keep coming back to Mint 18 every time I try to distro hop. I don't personally PC game so I can't comment on performance or compatibility issues but I have been stumbling blindly through installing and uninstalling all kinds of different programs and tweaking settings back and forth and just generally poking it trying to see what this button does and I haven't broken it yet. Personally I think it's the most coherent UI for anyone coming from Windows that I've seen. Each distro has something about it that I wish was available in Mint natively but for me Mint has the most done right when it's first installed. YMMV

with the way Ubuntu keeps going in a separate direction from the rest of the community, perhaps Mint should rebase from Debian?

They already have a Debian-based verion in parallel with the ubuntu ones. LMDE.

I've been running Cinnamon 3.0 for a good while on both Ubuntu and Fedora. Runs great.

Last I heard LMDE was dead. And I meant the whole distro.

Eh, mostly because it only gets updated when Debian Stable is updated. Next release is early next year sometime, so you could expect LMDE3 by Q3 2017. Slated "Stretch" release (Debian 9) will be based on kernel 4.10...

Yeah, I wish they updated it more, especially since it's rolling release. Makes it a pain to install the later from release.

Does anyone know about how long it usually takes for an Xfce release after the Cinnamon and MATE releases? I'll be trying out Cinnamon; I hear they've made some great changes, but the Xfce desktop environment is my favorite. I wouldn't consider switching to Cinnamon full-time until I've worked with the Xfce version. Any estimates on this? Any news on Xfce itself?

It is not dead...As it was said by others it just follows the Debian release/update schedule.

It should come within this month...Usually 1-2 weeks between every different release...

1 Like

well, Mint should dump Ubuntu as a base and use Debian testing or something as the base. Ubuntu keeps moving far left of center. In other words, Ubuntu keeps going in the opposite direction of the rest of the Linux community. Example: Mir vs Wayland.