Linux mint 17.3 | killed it yester day

@Zumps didnt show much, just my cpu not my GPU, what i could see. Is it suppose to do it?
I can do it again and take a picture if u like?

Thanks!

It was @spidernet that requested it. I don't know why. Maybe it furthers the diagnosis exactly because your GPU is not showing, not in spite of it.

Mine looks like this, but I'm on Intel HD 4000.

System:    Host: mittens-ThinkPad-T430s Kernel: 3.19.0-59-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 2356LRG v: ThinkPad T430s
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 2356LRG v: 0B98401 Pro Bios: LENOVO v: G7ETA4WW (2.64 ) date: 10/08/2015
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-3320M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10376
           clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 1825 MHz 2: 1216 MHz 3: 3079 MHz 4: 1828 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.9 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-59-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e v: 2.3.2-k port: 6080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 3c:97:0e:c7:3b:4c
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] driver: iwlwifi v: in-tree: bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: x:x:x:x:x:x
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (52.0% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 250.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: HGST_HTS725050A7 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 27G used: 14G (54%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.07GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3080
Info:      Processes: 198 Uptime: 7:58 Memory: 1926.2/7681.1MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28

Okey lol then ive to show ya mine, show almost nothing :/
Brb rebooting again ..

Hehe i now know its alot of differents between inxi -fx and inxi -Fx

notetoself: "unxi -fx just showed your cpu"

hah lol XD Fair, we've all missed a capital letter or something somewhere sometime.

1 Like

Wanted to check if he's using the correct drivers.

To purge fglrx drivers:

sudo apt-get purge fglrx fglrx-amdcccle fglrx-updates fglrx-amdcccle-updates
1 Like

So, I don't know if this last line of when you tried to install xserver-xorg can lead us to the culprit, but can you post the output of this to see if you have held packages.

dpkg --get-selections | grep hold

If it doesn't have an output, you just report that.

You just remeber/know that line? lol

well brb again then.

Yea ill check that too @Zumps

Out of curiosity what happens if you type this command: startx and press enter?

Do you get the same error?

That would be amazing, but if xorg didn't install correctly last time it would be puzzling if it worked.

Yes it'd be. It could either be a MDM related problem or xorg related or GPU drivers related. It's really hard to troubleshoot these type of issues.

Yes indeed! But wouldn't MDM need xorg to work and not the other way around? And when xorg is not starting, then I'm thinking it's most likely the driver or xorg. Let's see if he gets any errors when (re?)-installing the correct drivers. If not then it's probably xorg and if it does show errors I can't imagine where that leads this XD

Yes, what MDM does is launch X. The full xorg log would help, there may be some more hints. We'll see I guess.

Okey.. dpkg --get-selections... gave nothing, then i removed the " | " and it said like:
{grep install
dpkg: no package found matching hold}

startx gave:

Ok, so same error and you've deleted the drivers right, did you install them back?

Aha okay, I think I had it upside down. Btw I think he did post the entirety of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

1 Like

haha now i didnt!
Just to eliminate the noobines, how do i do that xD

Btw ill do that first, then mabe u two can tell me how to save the Xorg.0.log to my flash card or my windows drive/partion)

It can be done in a couple of ways, refer to this guide: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Linux_Mint

Oh so you have windows on the same machine, convenient.

You check with lsblk where your windows partition is mounted (or a USB stick/flash card for that matter, doesn't matter).

The you type cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log > /path/to/where-ever-you-want/xorg-log.txt

You can call it whatever you want.

Edit: oh and if you have a space in the name of your destination partition/drive, you just put it in "", so for example /media/ericssn/"Flash SD Card"/xorg-log.txt

Edit 2: and if it's not mounted, refer to this guide. https://askubuntu.com/questions/37767/how-to-access-a-usb-flash-drive-from-the-terminal-how-can-i-mount-a-flash-driv

1 Like

Hello again guys hehe @Zumps @spidernet!
Now its up and running again, my linux is mint now :D
Thanks alot for the support, i cant thank you enoff!

After the drivers were installed it booted right up!
So any conclusions? hehe
It was funny, that from xorg error u let me in to the bootloader and back and forth!
Before today, i didnt know what xorg even was and ive been so much time in text mode...
Ive learned a lot from this! So i take away a lot from it...

Any way, thanks again!!

2 Likes