Linux/Learning to program/video/photo editing Workstation build

Hey all, I've been reading up and watching a lot of Linux activity, and as someone who wants to get into a software engineering career at some point in the future I thought it would be a good idea to jump in headfirst and get some experience and firsthand knowledge. Wanted something small and sleek, won't be really doing anything as far as gaming goes I'll have a main rig for that around mid-Jan early Feb. Pretty flexible as far as budget goes but don't really want to spend more than ~1400 all told. Here's the link to my idea so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bLWp6h

Cheers!

Nothing jumps out at me as being something that would cause issues in Linux. As far as a video editing workstation, there's people with way more experience looking at those builds on this forum than me so I'd rather have their input than mine. However I will pose some considerations, is there anything in this part list you could live without? Do you already have a working monitor and keyboard? Can you live with a cheap HDD for a while instead of an SSD? Would it be beneficial to you to skimp on that stuff for the time being in order to get a bump in core PC components like your CPU/GPU?

Thanks for the reply! Yeah already have a keyboard and the monitor I do actually need. Definitely could go with a HDD instead of the SSD but they're just so much faster lol

If you are video editing, then you should put your focus in the build on CPU power. I would recommend getting an i7 over an i5.

I'm not sure if Linux is able to utilize CUDA cores - I don't see why not - but in addition to that, I don't know if the video editors on Linux can take advantage of them either - BUT, if you can verify if your software has GPU render acceleration, then I recommend going for GPU that has a high CUDA count, rather than a high frame buffer (not that the 750ti has a high frame buffer)
If your software doesn't have GPU acceleration, then I say forego the expensive GPU and just get something basic enough to run 60FPS video.

In addition to that, I would save the money on the SSD - get a smaller one (like 100GB) to install Linux and your software on. And if you are doing video content, trust me, you are going to want TONS of storage. I recommend getting AT LEAST a 1TB HDD. Honestly, boot times don't bother me too much, if this was my own personal build, I would probably outright drop the SSD altogether.

And for a final thing that is really more a matter of personal opinion: I just don't trust EVGA with PSUs (good GPUs, though). But, they haven't REALLY done anything wrong to earn my distrust, but at the same time, neither have I had one to earn my trust either. So, I am wary of their PSUs. I always recommend Seasonic, since I have had 0 troubles with them. But, just a matter of personal choice is all :)

1 Like

I might sound crazy, but I'd deal with a membrane keyboard even missing a key here and there lol and an old 16" CRT monitor, and a 5400rpm HDD taken from a laptop for a few months if I could choose to bump up to X99. lol

I don't know about the HDD, but, X99 for editing is the top of the line, so, I agree.

1 Like

Oh! I also just noticed you chose a TN panel monitor. If you prioritize gaming the 2ms response might be good but if you want to do color accurate Video/Photo editing, I'd probably consider IPS instead... but again if you can manage to skimp on the monitor somehow and buy a better one later consider that. Also this is just an aside but if you haven't considered glare while picking a monitor (I HATE GLARE WITH A BURNING PASSION lol) then pay attention to whether it has a matte or glossy finish on the screen (and maybe bezels).

That was super helpful thanks! Alright so here's what I came up with, a little more expensive but I think this fits my needs perfectly. Won't really be gaming on it so I don't need a beefy GPU, just enough to handle the basics and then some. @rabbit Picked up an IPS panel. I usually work in a dark room with little to low lighting so I'll be good as far as the glare goes ;)

here's the new build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PxWkYJ

A monster to make the most productive of us jealous. Very nice. Quite pricey, but well worth it if you can afford it.

1 Like

I'm probably like 9 months out from it but I'm excited to jump in! Probably going to add a Noctua cooler down the road (I don't like liquid coolers) and get a nice overclock on it. Should last for quite a while. Thanks for the help!

Keep an eye out for the Broadwell-E X99 stuff and whatever might take the throne of the 750ti in the next 9months.

1 Like

For sure I heard there was some stuff in the works. Definitely keeping tabs on all that.

1 Like