Linux is user friendly

well most people take it to people who can fix it. take your computer to randy to get it fixed with windows and you get it back a few days later. but take it with him with linux and he has no clue what linux is. People online cant be exactly clear on what to do. its the same the reason people buy a iphone. i just works and it does what i need to.

Going necro and bumping this old thread in Linux frustration. Begin Rant: Got some SSDs in and today is a classic example (or answer to my own ponderings) as to why Linux is relegated to some enthusiasts, but does not gain traction with "semi" techies, yet alone 'common' peeps.

On my windows machine, there is more than one software suite to choose from- to migrate my drive, bit by bit, to a new SDD.

Got to my linux laptop and google away- just to find article after article that blows me away with complication. I work in IT, I'm a geek- a fun weekend for me is getting on youtube and watching all kinds of IT/computer geeked out stuff, a break at work is going into my free-be ESXi host and poking around, learning--- but what it takes to successfully migrate over to an SSD in linux-- so ridiculous- will just nuke it and start over again.

Then google how to install VMware workstation into Kali, see that an accompanying video by the article author (btw, article is much like the technical gripes in below quote) was removed from youtube by offensive security- the maintainers of Kali themselves- wtf? So it seems like its not meant to be. Nor is a lot of things-- to get linux to do more than chrome book duties, you need to truly be a computer science enthusiasts, which reminds me of some of the questions poised in this forum, and the typical linux enthusiasts replies to those who want to learn, but pull their hair out at the mountain of learning curve to do so. X, Y and Z distro's run Linux, but you use one's repo with another, hell brakes loose- use something from someone's git that is just a few months old, its already broken.

And this makes me think of a lot of youtube channels of techies who always have windows10 running in the background. It just gets stuff done without needing an honorary BS in computer science level of self education to just get stuff done.

To me, this answers what seems to be an age old question in some parts- "why isn't linux gaining more ground". Its not appealing to half-ass not-so-capable wanna-be techies like me, how it is going to be appealing to less tech enthused people? Windows and Mac will continue to dominate.

End Rant. Uhhhhhg.

Honorary re-quote of what someone wrote that IMO nails it and still cracks me up.

1 Like

young ins can learn languages easier than adults, i don't be surprised if OSs is comparable.

Kali isn't a daily driver distro. It is mainly used as a live distro for pen testing. If you were on any of the main distros (Ubuntu, OpenSuse, or Fedore) it would be just a right click, then select install in the package.

Clone Zilla is an push button way to clone a drive there is other software as well like Deja Dupe.

I am sorry that you found bad guides. Many guides are written so they can be done in the command line because of server administration.

Particularly gamers because of hardware support. Most high end graphics card drivers are and have always been a mess on Linux.

I would say if you go with NVIDIA and proprietary drivers then your experience will be decent, however the latest drivers have yet to get Vulkan added into them, and there is a bug that breaks some games also, however NVIDIA normally fixes those problems within a month whereas problems in AMD's drivers can lurk around for years after release.

The AMD FGLRX drivers are not worth it so I run the open-source ones which only work with %50 of the games out there and offer %50 of the performance you might get from a similar NVIDIA card. To get these drivers working on my 390x required custom DPM configuration (because AUTO is broken) and also a manual recompile of latest MESA 11.3-devel, extremely non-user friendly atm.

My next videocard may very well be a NVIDIA card depending on price-performance comparisons, I know supposedly AMD is meant to be better for future API like DX12 and VULKAN but they seem to struggle FAR too much in building useful drivers, the only feature I will miss is FreeSync which really should be supported by NVIDIA, nothing stopping them but their own pride which is a damn shame but that's life...

I don't know of any software on windows that does that
On linux its easy "dd if=old drive of=new drive"
done
simple

@Quixotic_Autocrat and @rollymaster, if what you guys are saying holds true, then there are a lot of screwed up guides out there that go into great detail as to why the three methods you two mentioned would cause a few issues at the least. Key issue here is not HDD to HDD, but HDD of X size to SDD of Y size.

I'm about 5 hours into getting a Debian install with working wifi- what an adventure. I think inept computer illeterates like me need to stick to Ubuntu for any linux exposure, as they have done a lot to make getting non-free firmwares and such a breeze (this is where an Arch user calls me a b*tch for using either). Plus google pulls up A WHOLE lot more info vs. Debian. I can't even find debian's repository list (as I nuked mine), but Ubuntu's is popping up all over the place.

So before I nuke my debian install, having fun loading some other distro's repositories in and updating/upgrading. F*ck it- let's go out with a bang.

what wifi?

try mint instead tends to work better ootb

yeah drives gotta be the same size or "of=" needs to be bigger than the old

I pulled my Ubuntu HDD out and put the blank SSD in, put in Debian Gnome.

When installing Ubuntu, it holds your hand getting non-free firmware. Debian not so much. In hand site, it doesn't help not being fresh at these things. To me using Linux is like learning a foreign language, you have to immerse yourself and then continue using it frequently, or loose it. I figured I knew all the key-words to really get google going for me, but went on a wonderful journey to find the actual firmware file, then the typical linux try installing through method a (add repo to etc/apt/source list etc) nope. Try method b (download firmware and type in command line blah blah blah) nope. Use Synaptic with right click in gui on file- finally, works.

Now I wifi, and now I'm realizing I don't like how Debian Gnome does not let you maximize or minimize windows.

Went to one of my many open tabs, Clone Zilla was mentioned and not an option as you list.

http://blog.oaktreepeak.com/2012/03/move_your_linux_installation_t.html

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/783416-how-to-image-and-clone-hard-drives-with-clonezilla

RSync is also nice for drive cloning

It still remains one has to do a lot of reading, learning etc to prep the SDD and migration process vs on my Windows machine right now its click, install, click, done. And before the standard canned linux rebuttals come, keep in mind the spirit of the early statement of mine- why linux will not take ground over windows anytime soon.

While trying to explode my linxu machine, watching another "linux sucks" video and he was overlaying google search data and the decline of googling linux in general. A bad sign.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm here because I want to adopt linux, I'm here because there is at least some techie in me, but this 'ish drives me to drink.

edit* Kali repo didn't break the machine, at least not at first appearance, but time to load in the Ubuntu Gnome live USB anyhow. I have a pile of envelopes with live USBs in them, labeled, because I do like to geek out on this stuff, but the rant comes from today, where it blew my mind no one in the linux community seems to have streamlined an HDD X size to SDD Y size migration but Windows has a lot of options- it made me think of some of threads like this floating around on this forum.

Because the 13 year old doesn't have a 1440p Korean monitor that won't display because the product name doesn't transfer correctly over dvid.

I think ironically people who are new to Linux tend to run into more difficult issues. I don't mean this relative to experience - I mean straight up more complicated issues involving incompatible hardware. People who have been on Linux for a long time usually would have gone through and over time, replaced everything with hardware that work out of the box.

Ya I remember starting with Ubuntu 9.04, watching Nixie Pixel tutorials on how to get Compiz working and stuff like that. It seemed like even though I would follow everything she did 100%, I would still have issues. Luckily it's super easy to just rinse and repeat.

Rinse and repeat- yep. I played with Debian Gnome 3 for half a day, then started over with Ubuntu Gnome 3. Honestly, there is something about Debian that makes me want to go back, but all the instructions I was finding online to do things was for Ubuntu and didn't work half the time with Debian. Debian seemed a little faster and smoother- I can't put my finger on it but it just seemed better even though the UIs match between the two.

For my windows machine I figured rather than clone to the SSD, this is a great time to do some spring cleaning, so I started fresh with a Win7 ISO and had to download a bunch of my laptop's drivers from the manufactures site. Have to admit, it was a fork in the road where I thought this would be a great time to take the Linux for a year challenge, but I don't think I'm ready for it.

There is no reason to take that challenge. Don't limit yourself to just one OS. Use what works best for the scenario.

1 Like

Nixie Pixel is who brought me to Linux and she made everything user friendly. In my opinion learning Linux is easier if there are videos. Because I am more a visual learner.