Linux.. is it ready?

I would really consider this. But how would this work for games? I currently running a i5 4690k but I'm planning to upgrade to the AMD six core.

1 Like

Is it in Windows? I know windows 10 has a software store now..?

this is one of those things. Spotify isn't free software so more often then not cannot be included.

In saying that, Spotify on Fedora is two lines.

# dnf config-manager --add-repo=http://negativo17.org/repos/fedora-spotify.repo
# dnf install spotify-client

I think part of this is that it works really well for a lot of things. Is it perfect for grandma? No. And hopefully that's going to change this year with flatpak, we may even start getting rid of different package types for user-land software.

What card do you have? This is one of those ongoing issues, but are improving still. Nvidia will always need proprietary blobs. AMD is vastly improving thing (and to be honest we need to show them that they're doing it right), the open drivers work, and work well, but do require an up to date OS.

Realistically you'll need GPU passthrough if it doesnt work in wine (check first).

Or.. er, play better games :P

2 Likes

I got virtual box seamless mode going with Windows and basic 3d acceleration and it's damn Skippy. It had been broken for a year in Debian before I switched to Fedora and now works in Fedora 25 not sure if new and driver or new kernel fixed it.

Except for games anything I might need to do for business I can do this way and its glorious.

The windows SSD can also boot bare metal if I want to do gaming. But that means I only have to maintain one windows install. It works in virtual box or on bare metal, though it does bitch about activation. I find I use it less and less all the time.

9 Likes

Lol I wish, in my work all servers get Windose server. Normaly they are installed inside ESXi hypervisor but sometimes we install them on bare metal. I don't think that's good because there are constant problems with them. And the solution to those problems are even worse.

• XYZ Program has frozen -> Reboot the server.

• Our emails are not coming through -> Reboot the server.

• Backup is failing -> Reboot the server.

@Eden you sound like a Linux elitist. There will always be problems on Linux. The biggest problem with Linux is not really a technical problem. It is philosophical one. Linux won't do anything unless you tell it to. People expect that everything in OS is automated. Our poor customers (the unwashed masses) couldn't possibly use it when they don't even know how to use Windblows.

I get calls all time like: "I can't print with my new printer!!! Me: Did you install the printer driver? ...eeem What's a driver?

"The sound on my PC doesn't work." Me: Is the cable plugged into the jack port? ......Oh no it's not.

"Can you make Outlook automatically put all items from one calendar into another one without me having to LITERALLY copy and paste every time, and while you are at it can you set it so that it makes me coffee every morning."
Me: Sorry it doesn't work like that.

People are lazy they don't want to do anything. It's like Ryan said. As soon as they find out they can't play videos they give up. Imagine what nightmare it would be if we gave Linux machines to our customers. They would be calling us non-stop. We would be teaching the toddlers how to fucking walk.

Sounds like the same problems that Win users face. Yes, there are many people that will have problems and people are dumb as bricks but the average person will be able to complete what is asked of them to do I order to solve a problem if the person that is helping says things in a detailed layman way. The same can be said for the Linux community. New things require time to be learned. Then once the learning has been completed that person has becoming squinted with the problems and no longer needs to ask for help. Of course this also allows this person to go out and help other new users.

Everyone wants to talk about the year of Linux. But how are we supposed to get there if we do not teach people how to use it. If we can go out and teach people to use Linux we can bring this idea into fruition.

Edit: My post does not sound fluid. Hopefully people get what I mean.

That's not a Linux problem, that's a computer/laziness problem, like you pointed out. And the exact same issues happen on Windows. No OS will do anything unless you tell it to.

I'm not even sure what a Linux elitist is supposed to be?

This suggests that Linux is harder to use than Windows, but that just isn't true. A bunch of factors fit in for something to work or not. I have a family member who uses Linux without issue, there not technically minded with computers at all.

The only thing people need to keep in mind is its not Windows.

You can't just give your customers a new anything and expect things to go smoothly... its not .

This is the issue that always comes up. Its like giving someone a manual car and not telling them anything and they ask why it doesnt work.. well its not an automatic its a manual.

Its a completely different OS, and when you change anything with someone you have to give them the support for that change. they also have to be willing (or be forced if its corporate xD)

edit: fyi, written from a windows machine.. signed: Linux elitist :P

5 Likes

Well that highly depends on the distro exally.
There are distro´s that dont have software like spotify in their main repositories.
Like @Eden also pointed out, you have to add a ppa if needed.

However nowdays there are also distro´s who made this allot easier,
or distro´s that do have those apps in their repositories.
For example Ubuntu Mate, there is just a one click install for allot of popular apps like spotify or skype in the software bootique.
But there are also other distro´s that contain similar software managers.
Korora25, MX16, Linux Lite etc.
Sometimes you should just try a couple of distro´s, to find out which one works best for you.

If you use an Arch based distro like Manjaro, you could find pretty much anything you would need in pamac, if you enable the AUR.
Except for software that is Windows only ofc.
Graphical package managers and software centers have become allot better over the years.
Its just that sometimes for the more experianced users, its easier and quicker to still use the command line to install packages, maintaining the OS or tweak settings.
And of course bug fixing often requires the command line.

But i can understand why its hard for Windows users to switch to Linux.
Linux is simply different, and does not offer all the software that you will find on Windows.
I mean no adobe premiere, no MS office etc.
However open source alternatives are catching up slowly.
Gaming is another point for users to stay on Windows10 pretty much.
However with the Vulkan api in development, i could see some future for Linux as full flagged gaming OS.
But its of course obvious that Linux isnt for everyone.
Everyone should use whatever they feel the most comfortable with.
Thats why there is choice, whatever works best for you.

In my opinion Windows10 has become pretty terrible.

1 Like

Well for ofice stuff I wouldn't dare run it in wine personally. I'd use WPS office or Libreofice. But as for the command line stuff, its basically just there for workflow reasons in ubuntu. While yes you might need to tickle it every once in a while, there is no reason for the average non-power user to really use it. And don't dual boot. There is nothing more annoying than needing something on your other system that you want to use in you current. Just don't even bother there.

If you want to use linux on some sort of system somewhere don't put iton a pivotal machine. Get a T460 and throw it on that and keep it with you when you go places. If you go on a plane or something take some time to learn where everything is and get some stuff to read about your machine and your distro of choice.

3 Likes

I think windows 10 is great... except for the spying and backdoors. But the situation has become unteneble, and a lot of us, can't - in good conscious, stay on Windows under these circumstances.

2 Likes

Well aside from the spying and telemtry,
The way Microsoft maintains Windows10 pushing out untested updates that potentially break machines.
Well thats pretty terrible to me, they also install thirdparty apps like games,
because they have deals with those company's.
But they dont have any looks at the source code of those apps.
So they push software and apps to your OS that you dont have asked for.

Of course rolling Linux distro´s like Arch also breake once in a while.
However thats open source and you dont pay for it.
For Windows10 i still have to pay, and then i dont expect them to push out an update that breaks my machine.
Wenn they push out updates i would expect them to be tested.
But since MS layed off most of their bug and software testers,
it seems like that not everything gets tested atall.
Proofing the amount of complaints there are about Windows10 and updates,
and issues that occure with those.

3 Likes

Sounds more like a "I-don't-wanna-learn-anything-new-but-want-something-new-nonetheless" rant to me, to be honest. GNU/Linux is as "ready" as Windows, in fact much more "ready" than Windows to be honest, as far as I am concerned. I see no difference between 3-4 clicks to install something, and typing in sudo apt-get install, and in fact prefer the later. I love to be able to customise and change anything I want, whether its cosmetic or functional, and I don't have to worry about being coerced into using my computer in ways I don't want to. Nobody else owns my computer, and nobody gets to dictate update terms to me. All things considered, I think GNU/Linux is far superior as a system to Windows. It's a proper computational environment that puts computation first, and consumption (whether it's games or other audio-visual content relying on proprietary codecs) second. That's how things should be.

That's a subjective statement, and has no objective fix.

Again, that's a subjective preference, or a reluctance to step out of comfort zones. No objective fix is possible. Ever. Not without making GNU/Linux into Windows. In which case, just use Windows.

Untrue.

Either untrue, or they can be done using simple commands, that actually eliminates a lot of hassles of multiple clicking and scrolling. Besides GUI in GNU/Linux is mostly on par with Windows in terms of usability.

There are alternative native GNU/Linux applications for each of those. And most are either on par or better than the Windows applications, given the willingness to undergo a learning curve.

I have no idea what this means. Never happened to me, and I have been using GNU/Linux since around 2006.

Because you'd only be delaying the startup on Windows. My Alienware 17 R3 uses traditional HDD, and while Windows 10 boots in around 2 mins, GNU/Linux (LMDE 2) boots in 15 seconds flat. And it's a far more secure and private OS, that affords a far more stable and competent environment. Those are good reasons to boot slow into Windows for when you must!

Besides, if GNU/Linux frustrates you more than Windows, then why even bother? You are clearly not satisfied with what most consider to be the strength of GNU/Linux, and most of your expectations stem from your familiarity with Windows. So why not just stay with Windows? The importance of GNU/Linux is rooted in it being decidedly and purposefully different from Windows, both philosophically and functionally. Those are never going to change, because then it wouldn't be GNU/Linux anymore! You are simply asking for the impossible, in my opinion.

3 Likes

shoot.. forgot about those. there are probably other thing I forget about because I don't use Windows 10 except rarely.

I still use Windows7 as my main OS.
And i think the reason for that is obvious.
Windows8.1 and Windows10 are no real standalone operating systems anymore, they are based on online services allot.
Microsoft simply has gone a way with Windows that i´m personally not agree with.
I expect my OS to be nothing more then a base system, on which i run the applications that i like and need to use.
Not to have Microsoft to decide whats best for me.

1 Like

i considered this when i was setting up a windows vm + passthrough for my son's gaming. I wasn't sure how well it would actually work : p which is activated (metal or VM)? and do you think it matters?

I 8 THE B8 M8.... just had to.. made in GIMP in 2 minutes

Anyway, I've been installing linux-based OS on several friends' and family members' PCs and they all use it perfectly for normal office/browsing/media consumption. Started with both my grandparents that had crappy PCs and their machines were each day slower and they adapted really quick. One is using Fedora and the other Ubuntu MATE. I personally use Solus, which has already a section for "third party software" that includes spotify, chrome, teamviewer, etc. Driver install is also a breeze with automatic hardware detection.

3 Likes

It entirely depends on usage, the only front Linux is not ready for me is gaming, but that is changing.

Ubuntu is considered the entry level solution for Linux beginners but I disagree at the moment, Fedora is nailing it these days and more so with F25 and its USB creator.

Almost everything can be done with GUI, the command line is easier when you are used to it, you can still edit most config files using a GUI editor.

Depends on outlook also, if its an exchange based server without knowning all the settings of said server it can be annoying, outlook can simply be used with open source alternatives like Thunderbird, otherwise rely upon web based clients, I do this for my work email on my home PCs.

Skype is still a bit off yet, but its awful software, unfortunatley businesses havent heard of things like Jitsi, if needs must Slack sounds like a good alternative these days.

Wine is also hit and miss, but a good hit or miss option, its rapidly becoming a superb bit of kit considering how complicated it can be, for light applications I would personally just spin a windows vm.

Steam is awful on Ubuntu, Solus OS seems to have a superb idea on how to run steam as the creator of Solus I believe wrote a custom application to run it correctly, if I remember correctly something to do with the libaries for steam been stuck from Ubuntu 12.04 or something.

Windows can generally be restored if you have a windows USB, drop into the Windows CMD and run bootrec /fixboot and it should restore the Windows bootloader.

Dual boot is a bit messy, I personally opt for VMs over dual boot as I can keep things seperate like Uni work, get your self a copy of Virtualbox and install linux there, play with it until you are ready to move over to Linux, then the real learning begins because you may need to find alternatives to the software you always used.

Again, it all depends on your needs and flow to determine if Linux is ready for you, the people who use Linux here have decided both they are ready and Linux is ready for them, you may not be ready for it, or it may not be ready for you and that is fine, the community here will always support a user in need.

Just remember, the open source world is a lot different from the walled gardens that are M$ and Apple but more welcoming and more wild/exciting!

1 Like

I understand your point. But to be completely honest.... I have dislecxia and English is not my native language, as you would maybe be able to tell... So I tend to avoid the terminal. Also I don't know all the commands so it would take longer. I know i would get used to it though. But with GUI ways this isn't a problem.

You didn't get my point there. I know for sure Linux always would boot faster than Windows. But with the grub loading screen, there is some extra wait time with choosing the OS and stuff.

Since I heard all you guys about Fedora I would give this a try. Any other tips and tricks you guys recommend.

All of you great thanks!

I have no more windows to test, but IIRC if you have 2 hard drives and UEFI based boot, you can install one on each disk and they won't bother each other. VM is better if you have the hardware though, less reboots.

yup is great, for some games that were counting on Valve's runtime libraries (bundled ubuntu static ones) you can toggle it on or off, but I had better performance with Solus' own libs

You should check out FolksWithHats' Fedy. It's a GUI program that automates a lot of installs, adds nonfree repos and makes several tweaks a 1-click affair.
Also Negativo17 has a really good Nvidia (and steam) repo if you have an NV card, that it's even compatible with the GUI software center.

IIRC it's better to do things like this (feel free to correct me if something's wrong or has changed)
1. Install Fedora with a separate /home partition
On Anaconda (Fedora's installer) select the Manual partition mode and change the default (LVM) to standard, then assign ~30-50gb for /, 8gb for swap and the rest for /home. that way if something goes wrong you can reinstall without losing your stuff
2. reboot and update
You can use Fedora's GUI (a popup will show up on gnome telling you there are updates) or you can
sudo dnf update
3. Reboot again
Most likely there was a kernel update among the updates you just did, so reboot berfore getting the nV drivers
4. Get nVidia drivers from Negativo17
Read the whole thing and you'll do just fine. As an example I have a 650ti so I would
sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo=http://negativo17.org/repos/fedora-nvidia.repo
sudo dnf install nvidia-settings kernel-devel dkms-nvidia vulkan.i686 nvidia-driver-libs.i686
sudo reboot
5. get Fedy (it's like Ninite but for Fedora)
bash -c 'su -c "curl http://folkswithhats.org/fedy-installer -o fedy-installer && chmod +x fedy-installer && ./fedy-installer"'
6. Run Fedy and install whatever your heart desires!
7. Linux is ready! are YOU ready for it?

2 Likes

Please do not use fedy.
As much as it tries to make things easy it screws with the system and you'll completely lose support from fedoras support channels.

Also don't run a command like #5 that's essentially saying run this script from the internet as root without checking anything before hand. It's very bad practice.

@zakpatat on the dislecxia, you can actually set up a shall like zsh with a lot of auto complete and extensive tab completion options.

1 Like