Linux Install Issue

I was able to get the hard drive to boot. One major problem was the NVMe drive I tried to originally install the os. It prevented my SSD from loading fully even after I had linux installed. Unfortunately I had to load the os on another computer and then attach it but I was able to load the amd drivers and purge the intel ones. I still want to figure out raid with NVMe on this x399 board. I had to turn on SVM mode and IOMMU on the motherboard in case someone wants to know some of the tweaks. I can’t say if that was the trick but it was what I could find surfing some forums.

Found as solution from the web for the NVME boot freezing issue for Ubuntu users.

1 In GRUB boot menu. press “e” to edit startup parameter ( add commands to boot process) and Add “nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5500” (the 5500 can be adjusted to meet your system needs) after the phrase “quiet splash” (in the line) and type " ctrl and X" to boot computer.
2. If this is for installation then press “shift” to enter the GRUB again post-installation on reboot. Enter again “nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5500” after “quiet splash” phrase. “ctrl x” to boot through to log in.
3. Once logged in navigate to “/etc/default/grub” with root privilege and edit “GRUB” file to add “nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5500” to same spot as above steps and save document. In terminal use command “sudo update-grub” to make change permanent.

I implemented this and was able to add my nvme drives and now they work.

2 Likes

mark this issue as solved and thank you for finding and posting the solution that worked for you!:+1:

1 Like

I am not actually sure how to make the thread solved.

1 Like

I had problems installing ubuntu 18.04 on ryzen as well, and until they fixed it, i really dunno wether it was a m.2 problem or the ryzen architechture, i installed 16.04 and dist upgraded from there.
It seems my specific is fixed as of 18.04.1 though, dunno if it is related.

I got you bro.

And I’ll mark your one post as the solution.

Edit: wait. This isn’t your thread. :p. Whoops.

1 Like