Linux Install Issue

I have searched and can’t find anyone else with this issue installing Ubuntu (18.04); I tried several flavors, and Manjaro as well. My issue is that during boot from the install media, all USB ports stop working. My PC specs (Was not intended to be a Linux machine):

M/B: MSI B350M PRO-VDH
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G (GPU disabled)
GPU: GTX 1050
RAM: 16GB
SSD: WD 250GB M.2

I have tried disabling/enabling various bios features. I have also tried UEFI and non-UEFI versions of the boot media. I was able to get a successful install once by using a DVD and PS-2 keyboard, but the USB ports still did not work after the install and updating the kernel.

The main error appears to be this message:
AMD-Vi: Completion-Wait loop timed out

have you tried running compatibility mode for older usb devices / legacy usb mode/suport?

Yes, it is set to Auto by default, but I have also tried it set to enabled.

have you tried a sane distribution like RHEL, Suse etc?

1 Like

that’s strange
You have tried all USB ports right?
Do you happen to have a pcie - USB card for testing? (just in case you happen to have one lying around)
What BIOS version are you running at the moment?

Maybe you have a conflict with installed/active PCI devices?

Maybe try just CPU and APU and one DIMM, and disable all possible devices in BIOS? If that works trying adding GPU, devices one by one?

AMD-VI seems to be virualization related, maybe try disabling it first?

Use a PS/2 adapter or keyboard.

1 Like

No, but I will.

I do happen to have one, I will give that shot. I have tried disabling AMD-VI.

1 Like

That’s like saying I’m gonna cut off my legs since my feet hurt a little bit.

Have you tried setting iommu=soft?

(it’s not ideal by any mean but at least we know if we are headed in the right direction)

Are you plugging the usb into the motherboard or the front of the case? If you are plugging it into the case, are you sure the front panel connectors are plugged into the motherboard?

Seems basic, but it’s an easy sanity check

I have tried both, but I loose all USB. Keyboard and mouse stop working.

I’ll give it a shot

Another Sanity Check… Have you updated you BIOS to the latest version? The 2400G is still a pretty new chip so that might help if there’s an update to be had.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue with the asrock x399 professional gaming.I try to boot to an usb it comes up I get through the first next button it shows a load and freezes. Messaged Asrock and was told to use Windows. I was trying to figure out how to get a Raid 0 but now I just want the OS to work.

@jmeadowz and @Soal159 have either of you tried the alternative Ubuntu Server 18.4 instead of Ubuntu desktop 18.4.

@Shadowbane I’m trying to install the os on the hard drive with another computer and swap it over to see if I can just reload the drivers. I really don’t want to pay for a windows license if I can avoid it.

@Soal159 the reason I suggested trying Ubuntu Server and then choose whichever GUI environment you want, a friend of mine suggested that trick. I guess this advice won’t work for you, because I didn’t understand what you were trying to accomplished.

Did you know if you can do without personalizing Windows, you don’t need a license. You can just download Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 from Microsoft 's web site. I have been running Windows 10 this way for about a year and a half this way.

Ubuntu server might just do the trick for the clean install. I appreciate your help @Shadowbane.

1 Like