Linux hate thread

my biggest gripe is the “community” who bashes the community, expecting to get everything on the plate from them, without doing anything in return.

I do love their GUIs tho, especially the tiling ones.

8 Likes

So what exactly should a new Linux user do in return to help the community?

1 Like
  • not shat on said community?
  • read mans/docs?
  • be polite?

idk

3 Likes

This is what I’m talking about, what should they do in return?

I like the DEs but I don’t know if theres a GUI tool in particular you have a problem with.

for starters, not expect that community is 24/7 support team. actually try to solve the problem on their own before hand, and after solving the problem, helping others to do the same.

can code - contribute?
can’t? - write docs, draw UI/art?
donate?
say thanks, and don’t bitch?

4 Likes

The distrowar/DE war shit is pointless and needs to stop

4 Likes

One thing about Linux that really bothers me is , except for web browsing , my best “desktop” experience is still almost always a function of how much monitor real estate I have and how small the terminal font is.

Like a bullet proof desktop experience is just lots and lots of terminals with 7 pixel fonts.

Lol

5 Likes

tfw ur eyesight is shit, so u use 14pt font

2 Likes

The filesystem hierarchy.
It’s complete nonstop bullshit; Made up on the fly (because of things like running out of disk space in the 1970’s), justified afterwords, and defended by an order of religious zealots ready to declare holy war against anyone who dares threaten their muscle memory.

Gobolinux is pretty cool of course, but at this point dealing with that is a bit too hardcore of a fetish for someone who just wants some relaxed evenings with their server OS dressing up as a cute desktop.

3 Likes

I keep it at 11 still 7 is too small for me too.

1 Like

oh hell yeah, the /bin and /usr/bin split is fucking annoying

also I would do the whole hierarchy differently, well maybe I will, soonTM :wink:

1 Like

hello sir/madam

please understand this reference

3 Likes

Most Linux enthusiasts tout this as a perk and benefit. “Need help? Reach out to the community!”

Then, they’re met with hostility and elitism, even when they’ve done research on the problem. When you’re new and inexperienced, not knowing what to look for is very common. Sometimes people just need a friendly nudge in the right direction.

2 Likes

-I am John.
-No I am not Indian. I live in California.

is this what you are talking about ?

I hate it when an update wipes out my conf files. Sweet, I love reconfiguring everything.

1 Like

BTW, I use Arch…

5 Likes

Arch users and Vegans man.

Also hate that different distros store shit in different places. Playing find the ~/www folder is always fun.

2 Likes

imma bite. I never had that in 4 years. do y’all actively search for that or something?

Yes, and most questions are

how do I do this incredibly common thing described in a man?

the whole point of wikis, docs and mans, is that you at least read the 1st paragraph and //^F the keyword of your problem, and failing at that, Google Duck the thing.

3 Likes

arch never touches your conf files, it creates urcfg.conf.new

2 Likes