Linux hate thread

I hate it when an update wipes out my conf files. Sweet, I love reconfiguring everything.

1 Like

BTW, I use Arch…

5 Likes

Arch users and Vegans man.

Also hate that different distros store shit in different places. Playing find the ~/www folder is always fun.

2 Likes

imma bite. I never had that in 4 years. do y’all actively search for that or something?

Yes, and most questions are

how do I do this incredibly common thing described in a man?

the whole point of wikis, docs and mans, is that you at least read the 1st paragraph and //^F the keyword of your problem, and failing at that, Google Duck the thing.

3 Likes

arch never touches your conf files, it creates urcfg.conf.new

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Filesystems: What makes sense in the modern world?

Then I’ll say you’re incredibly fortunate. /r/linux /r/sysadmin and the Jupiter Broadcasting IRC suck.

Who cares? Don’t be a dick. NO ONE knows how to use man pages. Seriously. Unless you’re trained or very experienced, no one understands that stuff. It’s a reference not a tutorial.

4 Likes

well there’s your problem, although /r/archlinux always seemed nice to me

2 Likes

So don’t ask questions at all? I mean, if its all in the wikis, docs and mans as you state then there is no reason to have any sort of forums for questions.

2 Likes

That’s not an answer, when most are encouraged to go to those sites. /r/archlinux is where I saw nothing but people linking the wiki. No explanation, nothing. Just spamming hyperlinks.

It’s not very welcoming. You’re not paid to answer Arch Linux questions. If you’re not helpful don’t answer.

1 Like

man pages was only one of 3 examples, one can use wikis? and wikis usually tell you to use man.

it takes 10-15 mins for someone new to read introductiory texts, where they say

hey, there’s man

1 Like

Yeah /r/ and /g are both ass going directly to the distro’s forum or IRC is the way to go.

2 Likes

then again, I am the kind of person who plays vidya games tutorials

1 Like

oh no they’re spamming you with potential answers

2 Likes

that is not what I said, I said that the majority of questions can be answered by those.

1 Like

A thousand times, this.

Lol, yes! Though to be honest, I haven’t run into this as much in recent times. Fewer Arch users these days maybe? idk.

1 Like

Here’s another interesting writeup on how some of this bullshit came into being: https://venam.nixers.net/blog/unix/2017/06/04/filesystem.html

It was fine way back then, everything was experimental, with hardware and software constantly in flux, and folders had a handful of files that could actually be listed in a console screen. I mean, I get it. I’ve unfortunately been involved with research, so I get how these problems will crystallize. But at some point you have to call an idiotic mess for what it is.

NixOS and Guix also do some interesting things, which among other benefits also sort of help alleviate the consequences of retardedly dumping files from hundreds of different packages into a folder with each other, by properly isolating them. But again, you really gotta be into that scene.

1 Like

I have been told the answer to Ubuntu kernel question (radeonsi) was answered in the mailing list so look it up… If I could slap someone through the internet.

Linux allows stupid people to do stupid things too easily. Once had to walk someone through fixing them deleting dpkg.

2 Likes

Fuck active directory integration. Fuck desktop environments with their constant tearing or 60hz locked experience. Fuck the fragmented experience. Fuck the users who act like there’s nothing wrong with it.

I still like using Linux tho.

5 Likes

Its working on my end.

4 Likes