• i5 4690k @ 4.5 GHz
  • Saphire R9 Fury Nitro
  • MSI z97m Gaming Mobo
  • 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 RAM
  • Deepcool Captain 360
  • Corsair Hx750i 750 Watt PSU
  • Fractal Design Define S Case

Must be the case; HAF922 here :smiley:

So, the PS4 Pro is a new generation? Otherwise you are correct, that is the point. There are no typical console benefits anymore. A console should be quick to setup and easy to maintain. And they are not anymore. The only thing you can buy today is a shitty PC that isn’t useful, that is what consoles have become.

1 Like

nah dude it aint like that

they’re both fine, they’re just for different markets.

you gotta remember this forum ain’t representative of genpop. It skews way more towards the Gentoo end of “how much time do you spend on the computer”

@useraddf’s problem is his GPU is not supported anymore. Solution: Buy a new GPU, (for rocket league and CS:GO even a 560 is fine), install a system with a current kernel, install steam, problem solved. At that point it is as easy to set up as a console, delivers a better experience and is a lot more useful.

nope.

I just said they were fine dude, I didn’t say it was the only valid solution, or even the right one for OP

my first case was a HAF922

1 Like

Nope. Its just because he doesnt have the other dependancy to install (need to go get it)

Yes. It will also fallback to X if your using non wayland drivers usually. It will also remember your last choice.

Do what?

Please stop making stuff up. Theres no “x11 version of fedora”. Fedora supports X and Wayland ootb.

@useraddf it depends what you want.

If you want to use AMDGPU-PRO your choices are to use a distro with old software, that’s pretty much your choice.

If you want to be bothered with nvidia binary drivers, get an nvidia card (i got fed up with it after a while and sold my nvidia card and got an AMD one)

If you want to stick with the build in open drivers stick with an up to date distro and AMD card with the AMDGPU drivers.

the open drivers are in pretty heavy development so are improving fairly quickly.

I have an RX 480 when the amdgpu drivers didn’t have things like opengl 4.5 support etc. a few of my games didn’t work yet but to be honest who cares? i have other games (they now all work btw). Performance still need improvements in a bunch of areas but actually outperforms other cards (nvidia included) in some games (according to phoronix at least).

You shouldn’t really have issues with csgo?

A wee test of rocketleague and im not having much issue playing it with my card. It might just be that the 280 isnt as well supported yet, the support for southern island cards is still as far as i can remember marked as experimental.

AMD cards are definitely the card to support if your using linux long term. but again i guess it depends on why your using Linux in the first place.

3 Likes

Good to know, i wasnt too sure thats why i tagged you in.
Because i have not used Fedora in a while.
But now you say that, it makes sense yes. :slight_smile:

If I

• ever decide to dual boot to windows just to game
  • ever buy a gtx 1060+

can I count on Fedora to recognize the nvidia cards and play nice out of the box? Basically, For what I do on Fedora, all I would need the card to do is to power the 3 monitors and do basic stuff.

edit, more on the point:

I don’t want to buy a card to have it cause problems on Linux in the future, as the card becomes older. If I decide to buy something now, I want it to work ootb with linux now and in the future.

Thanks for the peeps responding to my questions

fedora has the nouveau driver so yes it would just work but does not have the same level of performance as the proprietary driver.

Cool, I assume then that any of the modern gpus, AMD or Nvidia will work ootb for basic functionality.

Now, If I want to dual boot and not have issues with the bootloader

• Have Fedora and Windows on different drives
  • Install Windows first
  • When on Fedora install, point to EFI partition that windows installed

?

if you want to install them on separate drives then install each os on its drive with the other unplugged. after that you can install os-prober and update grub.

Last time I checked the nouveau driver was complete garbage compared to the open AMD driver. Does it even support proper video acceleration?

For what? To add more problems to the mix?
Just upgrade your four year old card and be done with it.

When I first built my last one it was supposed to be a Linux Gaming Rig.
Found an open box refurbished 770 for a lil over a 100 bucks, 135 I think, to go with my 8320E.
Driver install was painless, this was in the bad old days of the catalyst drivers so I went with what was the easiest option for the GPU.
Today I would go with a one of the 2 on the left, miners don’t give them a thought and the are powerful enough for any game.

1 Like

What’s the TLDR for the GTX 1050ti? Looks pretty good for budget, what can I expect for modern games at 1080p?

you could play most modern games at medium/high settings

good card if you need something low power but a 1060 might be a good deal if you can get it for the right price

My bad, I was actually repeating what I found on several tutorials, as I’ve never used a wayland-defaulting system.

Thanks for the correction.

dual booting isn’t the best solution, but if you do, I’d recommend ReFind for a bootloader. It tends to help keep win10 away form your other systems’ boot stuff, and it’s pretty.

Also, a 1050ti should be fine