Linux Gaming... The AMD roller coaster

Shadow of Mordor justy finished updating. 3.3G download / update via Steam. Feral Interactive is now opening up a screen to pick a monitor. That is nice because a lot of linux games open on my secondary display including gnome GDM not a game but a pain in the ass. Tomb raider does the same and feral interactive wrapped that game for linux as well.

Currently on fedora 25 and now I am future proofing myself with open source so kernel 4.9.5 / amdgpu driver.
Fedora Now (graphic is corupted)
min 0.74 max 7.88 average 4.65

A few days ago still on fedora 25 (graphics corupted)
Min 30.56 Max 65.96 Average 47.2

Antergos a few weeks ago worked fine game was playable
Min 22.11 Max 71.31 Average 44.43

Ubuntu 16.10 for the last year nearly.
Unplayable graphic coruption but similar benchmark to the last two results average FPS in the 40"s

All installs where latest kernel 4.8 + and AMDGPU.

Most games themselves are not open source, so why not try amdgpu-pro? 16.6 came out a couple days ago.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Driver-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx

1 Like

You are right and I think 3 times under ubuntu 16.10 and twice under antergos I did just that. AMDGPU was the better option.

There's no real reason for the pro driver unless you need a feature from it.

The whole stack includes bit isn't limited to
Kernel
Mesa
Llvm
Xf86-video-amdgpu (for older cards to enable the driver)
And possibly a couple other bits

Llvm ends up dictating which opengl version is opened to you. You'll be at 4.1 probably for now?

Shadow of mordor needs 4.3 I think. And there was a recent mesa update fixing some bugs but it may not be released yet.

Fedora 25 ..updated today
Linux marten-pc 4.9.6-200.fc25.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jan 26 10:17:45 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux.

Shadow of Mordor now plays coruption free
Min 22.61 Max 149.55 Average 57.23

2 Likes

Yeah I had jumped on the patch for the borked libgl deps too soon yesterday and had to rearrange a few things this morning, but all seems pretty nice with the latest updates.