Linux Gaming: Natively (part 1 of 4) | Level One Techs

Ah thank you, stable sounds good. I took the “paulo-miguel-dias/mesa”-ppa directly from the LTT-video and didn’t even check if there were further options.

Will test those tonight and report if Mesa was the cause

Edit: Yes! a ppa-purge of the paulo-miguel-dias-thingy did the job. …let’s see what I can break next :smiley:

As for a fraps alternative, how about GLXOSD?

https://glxosd.nickguletskii.com/

I haven’t really used it. But it might be worth looking into.

Steam also has its own built in FPS counter that you can enable.

I-Nex may be a bit useful as a CPUZ alternative:

http://i-nex.linux.pl/

Benchmarking tools have some way to go in Linux. Are there any good bench marking tools for Vulkan?

Feral Interactive has been working on their own “game mode” for Linux which runs an optimized Czar for gaming performance on demand:

A discussion on that is happening here.
It would probably be good to not repeat the same thing in multiple threads going on at the same time?

calling-all-devs-benchmarking-and-diagnostic-tools-for-linux-gaming

1 Like

Good video, looks like i will get a lot of knowlage out of the later episodes.

Just curious, i went and watched the LTT video as well and it raised a question. Which is do you need two graphics cards to do PCIe pass-through? or can you do it with just one card.

afaik you currently need two graphics cards to pass through (vfio?) one to the other.
There is another technilogy ( something -io) that will allow host and VM to share a single graphics card - but that is still even further away than looking glass entering beta, if I understood it correctly :slight_smile:

That two-GPU-thing is also what is keeping me from going down that route.

This Feral gamemode thingie, I think, is supposed to be shipped in Fedora 29. May already be in the 28 repos.

Ah ok thats quite sad otherwise i could have jumped on that wagon in a heartbeat. Thanks for answering by the way.

I was just responding to Wendell in the video. He did mention at the end that he wanted suggestions for FRAP’s alternatives and other Linux benchmarking tools. But yeah, that thread should be useful.

Submitted german subtitles for the video.

Btw, did you look into the ZEN kernel (linux-zen) ?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernels

It says:

Liquorix is a distro kernel replacement built using the best configuration and kernel sources for desktop, multimedia, and gaming workloads.

1 Like

I was happy to see in the video that you got the system gaming ready without using the terminal.

One the complaints I always see about using linux is the need for typing something in the terminal, but the person complaining has no problem typing 3 paragraphs to tell you about it.

2 Likes

Kek. Native language is a tiny bit different than shell commands. Besides, you know how to logically proceed in conversation for the most part. It’s not so easy when you have no idea what’s going wrong or how to communicate the problem.

Those of us with experience have that on our side and can easily forget how overwhelming a new UI is, much less how dramatically different the system as a whole works.

I was mostly joking. :wink:

But the complaints about the terminal aren’t because they think it’s too difficult, but because they feel the terminal is outdated. I’m sure you’ve seen people comparing Linux to DOS. They feel everything should be a click of the mouse, which most things are. Most of the time I use the terminal because I want to, not because I have to.

Not everyone wants to spend an hour or more figuring out they typed a & instead of % in the middle of a CLI command thereby creating an issue with a game or even stopping it from running.

As someone who has used mostly Windows yeah I would like a point and click experience, especially when I’m gaming on a timetable.

Does the Steam Runtime still use libraries from Ubuntu 12 ?

I had considered responding to this, but then realized it had been several months since I last installed Solus and thought maybe a lot had changed.

So, last night I installed Solus. i7 4790k, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM, 1440p 144hz.

While the installation process was fairly easy, post setup was not. Using no terminal and GUI software suite for updates, I noticed that Solus installed nVidia 304 and 340. Then, when I want to “Hardware” and installed the nVidia drivers, my fast, but screen tearing experience went to a very slow, choppy experience. Almost like the desktop was dropping frames from moving windows around. I didn’t bother with installing Steam and playing games because the desktop experience was sub optimal.

I think Solus does a lot of things right, and if I put in a few hours of work I could fix these problems. For gamers and casual users, they are not going to put in the time. This is why Ubuntu is selected by many show casing Linux Gaming because with minimal effort you can have a very efficient gaming setup.

1 Like

Anyone think that the Hades Canyon is ready for native gaming on linux yet?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo maybe

Linux on my kaby lake + vega laptop is almost not terrible and its killing me because its working better than it does on windows with the patches amd dropped on git a few days ago (when it works)

I need to retry hades canyon and see how it goes.

1 Like

Late to the party partly because I thought this was competition.

Digital Foundry has EXCELLENT FCAT tools they use which can just process ProRes recordings with full FCAT data coming out the other end. What’s needed is for Digital Foundry to open source that and port it to Linux, where it can massively parallel process a ProRes input for faster analysis on say a 2990WX.

PC Perspective also has a FCAT tool they wrote themselves in .NET, (I think) so that could also be open sourced if it can be ported to Mono.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Dissected-Full-Details-Capture-based-Graphics-Performance-Testin