Linux gaming in Laptop?

I presently have a MSI GE63Vr7RE with i7 and Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB . I wanted to ask that i current have windows 10 installed in it and i primarily use it for gaming , so is it possible to remove windows and install Ubuntu or Manjaro with a good Nividia graphics driver for full support .

The main problem in this case i think is support for full fledged windows games support , I wanted a solution to run full windows games like Assassin Creed Odyssey which is not suported by linux by default , so If any one could help me out how to run windows games in linux laptop , it would be of great help as we cannot even have a graphics pass through for this.

If you had asked this question before the middle of 2018 my answer would be no, but since Steam is starting to support Linux with their own version Wine called Proton, I would now answer the same question it might be possible with some problems to overcome. Since you have a Laptop instead of a desktop it will be harder to completely replace Windows with Linux. The biggest problem I foresee how would you handle the special graphics situation you have with a laptop that you don’t have with a desktop.

Now if you still want to try, I would suggest the first thing do is download either Ubuntu or Manjaro. Create a bootable USB stick with your choice of Linux, and set up your laptop to boot up your choice of Linux to see if you would have any problems running Linux. I have one word of caution, if your laptop is less than 2 years old, I wouldn’t spin up the latest version of whatever Linux you choose, I would instead create a USB stick using a version two or three years older. I once destroyed a perfectly good monitor trying to upgrade the Linux Kernel from 4.13 to 4.15. So updating with really old (more than two years old)laptop it is probably best to not pick the latest version, but the oldest Long Term Support you can find.

This is just my opinion, but since you just game with your laptop, and you can do whatever you want, but if I was you I would just stick to Windows, the headaches that are going to be generated with all the roadblocks that will be encountered just aren’t worth it. Of course, that is my opinion. Now if you had a pretty modern desktop that changes everything.

1 Like

ok thank you , will try that and check

It’s possible of course but is it advisable? Native games will run OK. However most every Windows game I have tried has had some issue or other. There tends to be a reduction in performance. Online features can be problematic. Anticheat will block any online gaming that requires it.

If you are after a project, something to gain experience, then great. If you are after something better than what you have, a gaming laptop then installing Linux for that is not going to be without it’s problems.

2 Likes

Thanks @PendragonUK for getting the point I was trying to get accross to @bksinha4497 with so few sentences. I do hope he does try but I wanted to give bksinha4497 the idea that his goal while might be posible (it depends on hardware he hads) it isn’t a easy task as some Linux fans came it out to be. I my self wouldn’t try it on a laptop but I would on a desktop, because a desktop isn’t as complicated as a laptop.

I’ve personally given up on linux gaming for now. All I’ve been met with is heartbreak and unnappealable bans.

That being said I have a similar laptop, MSI GS65 Stealth Thin with an i7 and 1070. I was never able to find a workable solution for optimus and forcing it to run only on the 1070 meant the built in display was left off. So if you decide to attempt it please let me know if you find a good optimus workaround!

Ayyyyyyyyyy badda bing I hawe the same machine but a gen before!