Linux Game Benchmarks - TALK

I believe we might have enough linux gamers around here to create a small but helpful archive of benchmark results. Unigine benchmarks are available and free. Also quite a few games with automated benchmarks have been ported over. And lastly … wine exists.

So the idea is that we make a topic that consists only of results, no discussion, no questions, just specs and numbers. Then there is the other topic for the talking part. That would be this one.

Some ideas:

• Every SYSTEM has it’s own post. All benchmark results created on that system go into the same post.

• If a performance altering change like a CPU/GPU upgrade happens to the system, it becomes a new one and gets a new post.

• Every set of results should have information about the distro, drivers, kernel version and so on.

I would make an example post that can be used as a preset, that way we would have an easy to compare set of information.

What do you think? Additional ideas?

• I would definitely participate.
  • I am interested in the numbers.
  • I don’t care about this.

0 voters

Known Linux 3D Benchmarks

Standalone:

• Unigine Heaven
  • Unigine Valley
  • Unigine Superposition

Games with integrated benchmarks:

• Tomb Raider (2013)
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Dirt Rally
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
  • Hitman
  • F1 2017
1 Like

I think @Eden got some benchmarks together in a spreadsheet (I might or might not have taken my ram speed from the wrong screen and messed up the results :frowning:)

Please make this a thing. It seems Microsoft is pushing me from Windows harder every day

2 Likes

Gaming on linux, especially using wine, requires a certain level of masochism; however I think just using windows in general is becoming the same problem. I’m finding myself drifting towards linux for my main rig more and more lately but I’m apprehensive about doing the work to set everything up just to get garbage tier performance compared to what I get now. This thread is directly related to my interests. I’m sure in some games theres no performance loss, or even a slight gain, but in most of the titles I play currently there will be a hit. So long as I can get my 144FPS though I’m fine.

If no one really contributes to the thread I will give it a go myself just for those who might also be in my place.

This is the TALK, I am probably gonna create the real benchmark topic later, maybe even today.
I will post it here when I do.

Glad to see interest in this. :slightly_smiling_face:

Got it. I misread.

Yup, but the situation on linux isn’t super bad any more unless you want to run latest releases. Thing is, latest releases are largely a bunch of paid-dlc-on-day-one, lootbox garbage.

Yes there are exceptions, but point being is that there’s a decent amount of gaming content available native now in steam and it seems to be getting better.

I’m planning to not boot windows to bare metal on my next build. Specifically because Windows has become too much of a pain in the ass. My haswell box is currently unusable in Windows due to a bug that has returned with build 1803 that causes it to just power off at random. Is rock solid in linux, and was solid in 1709 prior to the march updates and after the april updates.

The lack of Windows 10 testing prior to microsoft rolling it out is just a deal breaker. If i’m going to be dealing with random system breakage on upgrades i may as well run linux. at least the upgrades aren’t forced, and at least logs are available. And i’m not paying for it in both time, money and privacy.

oblig on topic bit:
I’m keen to see this, and will participate. Would also be keen to see how video performance scales with CPU, not sure how to organise that but maybe a Google docs (or some other) spreadsheet with tabs for each benchmark, and line items for each system contributing, so you can sort by score, CPU, GPU, OS/driver version etc. for comparison purposes.

1 Like

I would probably participate if we could get a guide on how to best do the benchmarking and how to present the numbers

Edit 1:
For now i would be posting results with some outdated hardware but i guess that might still be halfway relevant?

There are TONs of games out there that run poorly or not at all. Its still pretty bad.

AAA titles maybe, but theres lots of brand new titles that arent this way and when you look at the stats…those are far more popular than most AAA titles. Plus a lot of stuff like fortnite for instance is f2p and paying into it offers no advantage; so you’re literally only paying to support the game if you want to. To call it garbage is pretty short sighted.

It is, but a lot of the games I care about playing are really just not supported in linux. I know that this is a chicken & egg fallacy probably but if I dont make the switch, neither will others and in turn we will never see better support. Its 1000x better than it was 10 years ago, but looking at native support is still pathetic compared to windows supported.

Bottom line is I want linux to be competitive in the gaming market, and its starting to get that way, but its still got a long long long way to go.

The conversation about “where are we with linux games” is always interesting and I do have thoughts on that too. But this place is supposed to be about benchmarking.

What titles do you know that have benchmarks built in?
What benchmarks do you know?
Do you have thoughts on the organization of posts?

Stuff like that would be welcome at the moment.

Hitman, Tomb Raider and Unigen Superposition are the ones that spring to mind

Let me make a list of that in post one.

Has anyone tried to get that Metro Redux 2033 / Last Light stuff to run?

Do you know if the free trial has the benchmark built in?
That would be epic!

[EDIT] Seems like it isn’t… :frowning: [/EDIT]

They ran like champs on my rig. Haven’t checked their framerates, but it was good enough I didn’t care. I’ll reinstall and give it a run.

I specifically mean the benchmarks.
Because I read somewhere that they broke it on linux.

Last Light is broken on benchmark, 2033 apparently runs fine. I tried running LL’s benchmark (they tried to make one for linux since there’s a .sh for it) but it is totally busted. Will probably have to wait for sunday to get benchmarks together. Got a little weekend trip to take.

1 Like

I haven’t used it in a while, but doesn’t the Phoronix Test Suite have a bunch of open graphics benchmarks from different games?

www.phoronix-test-suite.com

http://openbenchmarking.org/

I just vaguely remember running a few CPU benchmarks testing some machines around the time I switched over to Linux back in 2014, and saw some familiar names back then. I’ve never messed with it personally, but the OpenBenchmarking sight says it has public and private storage of test results, and the front page of recent activity showed all Linux machines doing benchmarks. At the very least it would be easy for someone to bench their machine and get all the results graphed so they can link to it, screenshot, or whatever. The way you can search things and sort them out over there is pretty nice.

I’m mostly out of the loop with this as I have zero interest in buying 2018 games or good dedicated graphics. Maybe people ‘in the know’ could browse their list of benchmarks and come up with what they think is relevant. I know a handful of them regularly show up in the Phoronix blog. I do remember some of them being quite monstrous with their download + dependencies, so coming up with a short list of their best stuff would help save people some time and gigabytes.

1 Like

Phoronix does a lot of work of course and just from a quick look the openbenchmarking site looks great. I will look into those more when I have time for it. Thanks.

I tried 2033 and I can’t get it to run. Let me know if you have more luck with it.

Any more titles with built in benchmarks?

Pretty sure F1 2016 and F1 2017 have built in benchmarks.

Civ6 does as well, but last i tried it was still horribly broken with Vega :smiley:

1 Like

Hmm, busted on 2033 as well. Looks like it wasn’t always the case but it fails with a segfault again.

1 Like

Gonna take a look at F1 2017 the next time it is on sale. Thanks.
Added to the list.

Removed it from the list.