Linux for laptop

All the battery. BMS becomes CPU and run an RTOS for some real power savings

Now that feels a bit extreme.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad you caught the joke :wink:

Letā€™s take this if the lounge if itā€™s to be continued lol. Itā€™s off topic

1 Like

bruh, an XPS has a bigger battery than that.

@SgtAwesomesauce has one I think.

92Wh I want to say.

1 Like

Sure, but Iā€™ve heard that the LG Gram lasts a long time as well. On top of that, itā€™s very light from what I hear. If Iā€™m not gonna go for the horses, I might as well trim some fat.

</tangent>

2 Likes

You, buddy, have a tough pill to swallow right there.

So nvidia optimusā€¦ works, sorta. You have to keep in mind that there are many many ways for a gpu to actually be wired up in linux, let alone just in laptops. So you need to first figure out ā€œWill my MX230 actually display anything?ā€

What you may end up doing is just permanently enabling the 230 and dealing with the consequences, but to get optimus working you need a distro that will be built for optimus. POP_OS is the only one that immediately comes to mind. Ubuntu will do the base setup for it, but if you donā€™t fit in the generic pile then meh it may or may not work.

But again, depends how its wired.

-120mv on core/cache, -40mv on everything else.

1 Like

56wh for the small one, 97 for the large one. (100wh is the maximum a battery can be to be allowed on a plane)

For the XPS 15, that is.

Ubuntu Mate actually has a very good support for Nvidia optimus and made switching modes easy and painless. Unfortunately i cant test this personally on my ryzen laptop.

Martin Wimpress (then lead dev on Ubuntu Mate and now boss of Ubuntu desktop overall) did a wonderful job on its 19.10 release. You should try it first.

1 Like

Logging out every time you want to switch isnā€™t what I would call easy and painless.

3 Likes

I just stick with what worked for me.

anyone mentioned manjaro?

distros are a social construct.

4 Likes

no you canā€™t recommend gentoo here

now that I said the word sesameStreetThug will be here in no time

1 Like

M W also did a bit to enable egpuā€™s, (because he got a razer core for a nuc.)

1 Like

The thing about him is you think hes being sarcastic and funny but hes actually right.

1 Like

tlp-rdw does it for me

Yeah, thatā€™s helpful as well.

I just like the additional 30% battery I get from adjusting the CPU a bit.

Donā€™t make fun of my mental disorder thats basically linux ocd but its a disorder ok

Might give that a try and see how it works on my Aero 15

1 Like