Linux dual boot fail

For some reason dual booting linux doesnt seem to work on my pc.
when I load it (after selecting it) some dots appear on my screen dwn the bottom, after a few seconds these go away and a box pops up saying something about graphics not being configured and s it will use the lowest setting and that I should configure. When I go to change them with an option it says please wait, monitor resetting (or something along those lines) and my monitor just stays on, and the screen freezes. Im using Ubuntu alongside windows 7. Anyone have a solution to this? ive never used a form of linux before, and thought I would try it out to find out which os I preferred.
Thanks for any answer or solutions.
I was going to re install, but as of the moment I have no re-writable dvd's around, and I cant format the disk I burned ubuntu to. 

use a flash drive to boot up whatever distro you want inlcluding ubutnu,http://www.isotousb.com/ is where you can find the program to do this with. All you need is a formatted flash drive and the .iso

problem: ubuntu

solution: dont use ubuntu

(try mint. its a great my first *nix distro)

^fail.

If you have nothing relevant or useful to say, please don't say anything. While there are plenty of reasons not to use Ubuntu, you have mentioned none of them, instead choosing to mindlessly bash it.

b-b-but I want to fix this .-. not replace it. 

I can't think of any way to fix your problem, you may have to reinstall. You could try to install Ubuntu again, and hope for better luck, or you could try anouther distro. Linux mint is a great distro, or so i've heard, I personally use elementary os, the learning curve is a little steeper than mint or Ubuntu though.

trying to get ubuntu to boot through usb on my laptop, my laptop is having none of it, and just says eject all dives and press any key to reboot, and it just boots to windows, going to try booted mint through usb, see if Its any different

I think I might just have a corrupt ubuntu download.

id say its your display drivers.

what are they? nvidia? amd? intel?

got a fairly new laptop here and it shows similar behaviours to what your seeing on some distros, will stop at a black screen. have to use failsafe mode

laptop is intel, it says nothing about linux when I try to boot it from usb, just when I select boot from usb it tell me to eject all drives, and press any key, I do so, and it goes to windows. Im going to try this on my desktop in a minute, but with linux mint instead, but first I need to format the ubuntu partition.

Alright, I got linux working. Now im trying to figure out how to install my gtx 670 and 3570k drivers.
I get this error:

gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.

other than the fact that out of the box ubuntu is missing quite a lot of essential libraries, it doesnt have the propriatary drivers, and unity is fairly buggy with x compared to kde and gnome.

mint fixes all of these. it has the libraries (and a lot of other nice programs that the user would want out of the box) it uses cinamon (with is a gnome fork) or it uses mate (also gnome).

you can change drivers in software sources, just find the additional drivers tab

Hang on... gedit is like notepad, it's a text editor, you're fishing behind the net with that if you want to install drivers I'm afraid.

In Ubuntu, it's very easy to install proprietary drivers for anything, just hit <Alt> then type "jockey" and hit <Enter>, an app will start that will automatically detect your hardware, find proprietary drivers for it, and offer to enable them. It will also offer you multiple choices for the nVidia drivers, like different versions. Go with the one Valve recommends, I think it's the 314 one, it might be still in beta in Ubuntu, I don't know, since Ubuntu 12.10, I've completely given up on Ubuntu lol, too much problems to solve for the time I can invest in it. In order to run steam without too much problems, I think you have to run Ubuntu 13.04 beta, look at the Steam website to check that.

On a sidenote, you might want to consider Manjaro Linux, it's a bit more of an investment to get to know all the tricks, but it's a great GNU/Linux platform, because:

1. It's Arch based, it's bloody fast;

2. Steam is pre-installed;

3. It has a very good automatic hardware detection and proprietary driver install utility;

4. Flash and all that crap is preinstalled and just works;

5. It's a rolling release, you don't ever have to reinstall when a new version comes out;

6. You can run multiple kernels and switch easily between them, using the one that works best with your system, and the kernels up to 3.8.6 are supported.

7. They have pretty good online documentation and a very helpful forum (unlike Arch itself, which has a very helpful forum and crazily good online documentation, but if you are asking for something that has been asked or documented before, you will be flamed or ignored, they have a RTFM mentality).

8. The AUR is accessible and Yaourt just works, so you'll get access to just about any software known to mankind.

9. It's leading edge, not bleeding edge like Arch or Fedora, it's a little more conservative than that, but not as conservative as Ubuntu and it's derivatives.

10. The graphical installer is actually ported from Mint linux, so it installs very easily just like Mint.

11. You can also get the DE you want. Standard version comes with XFCE preloaded, which is gtk3 compatible, looks a bit like Gnome2/MATE, but has compositing, and doesn't use much resources. If it's a gaming machine, you might want to take a look at the Openbox variant, which has a more hardcore GNU/Linux feel, because it's a basic interface, but it's crazy fast and just look balls-to-the-wall hardcore geekish, it's a great way to gain street credibility as a computer geek (even though that's a dumb arguement, it's important to many people, like a keyboard without key markings, the Openbox DE has almost nothing on the desktop screen, still it's easy to use), slap a nice conky on your desktop, and it looks the works.

Mint linux is a great alternative to Ubuntu though if you want to stick with "user friendly" Debian derivatives or want the access the Ubuntu repos because you insist on spending money on software, you want Amazon to look over your shoulder when you browse, or something like that, I'm not judging, some people actually want that, otherwise it wouldn't be an Ubuntu "feature". Stay away from Mint 14/Ubuntu 12.10 though, it's pretty bad in general.

In my experience, the best out-of-the-box experience comes from Fedora. You can install Fedora Utils, which let's you one-click-install a lot of things like proprietary software, proprietary nVidia or AMD drivers, Steam, etc., and it just works, you don't even have to think about it.

I got linux installed, buuuuut now it wont boot. Heres the link to the thread: http://teksyndicate.com/forum/general-discussion/linux-wont-boot/138457
This is what happens when I select linux in the grub http://imgur.com/w6OOt3i

ill check out manjaro linux, that sounds pretty handy.

Teksyndicate needs bitcoin tipjars for users. This guy deserves a ton. Listen to this guy, he knows his shit.