Linux distro recomendations

Sorry about the trouble your having. I will look and see what I can find to help you.

the wireless I could fix, but the trackpoint stuff I'd need isn't in the repo and I don't have time to try and figure it out. I'll just stick to debian based Distros, leave debian for my servers.

ok sounds like a good plan.

Intel wireless drivers are built into the kernel what wifi card do you have?

Centiuno 6310n I think? I'd have to double check, it said I needed a proprietary blob and when ever I tried to enable it, it went into a loop. so I couldn't enable it.

So installed Korara and it seems to be working, everything worked out of the box, Seems to be performing the same as Ubuntu, gnome slow as usual, but how do I get hibernate working on this?

So using Korara

fonts are weird, especially in sublime text, sublime text doesn't want to install Package control right (keeps prompting about python and SSL) and the ruler doesn't work (79chars is across the screen)

That's one of the things I enjoy so much about Fedora. It doesn't start going through a bunch of grub bull crap that complicates trying to use the windows bootloader later if I need to (like anytime you want to boot anything else). It sees that I have a uEFI machine and installs perfectly without mucking up anything. That is truly valuable to me.

I run Ubuntu Gnome but spin up many distros in VM's to check them out. As a newbie I find ubuntu pretty easy too google answers to my problems. So I will prolly stick to Ubuntu.

yea I just realized that while trying to get stuff working on Korara (Fedora) but now that its up and running I think I like it more than Ubuntu. Ubuntu has SOOOO many issues its not funny, its just popular so it gets the most support.

Yeah, Korora for me was a lot easier to get up and running. Just make sure you run updates. The nice thing is dnf handles dependencies really well, so I never had things break as bad as on Ubuntu. That said, I use Korora on one PC and Ubuntu Mate on another so I won't bash either too hard.

NEWS: Ozon OS, the fedora based, gaming focused, design heavy distro that had all but ceased work several months ago has annouced they will be merging with Korora. Atom launcher will likely go by the wayside, but nonetheless this means Korora will be getting even better in the coming months/years.

https://ozonos.github.io