Linux distro recomendations

For user written documentation its decent, its a decent place for odd use cases, but its not the best. im not sure why people keep saying that?

These three are either better written or better organised, more comprehensive, or all three.

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/
https://www.debian.org/doc/
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page

I think they say it's the best because there's so much data it's hard to find an undocumented use case. That's my biggest plus for arch is I find a wiki page for almost every desktop Linux question I've ever had. Heck I just installed Ubuntu on my personal laptop and arch helped me figure out the windows efi BS, and figure out how to get the firmware loaded for my Killer WNIC.

• open suse
  • mint

Both are stable and work well.

Does open suse still use yast? I still have nightmares from doing a consulting gig in a suse shop.

yes but you can also use Zypper from the command line instead.
But the software center Yast has become pretty good nowdays.

But if you look for something more easy, then Mint might also be something to concider.

So I think I'll go with Korara, if not Mint Debian edition?

Not a bad choice. Honestly, had I known about that one, that's woulda been recommended instead of Fedora. Happy playing.

Years ago I would have recommended Ubuntu, now for new users but now I'd recommend Linux Mint. If you want it to be lighter Mind with the Mate environment perhaps. owever if you want something minimal the best options are the distributions not as friendly to new users such as Arch/Gentoo. I prefer arch over Gentoo, they're both rolling releases but Arch has better documentation (though they're both great) and the package manager in Arch uses precompiled packages, Gentoo actually compiles most of them which sometimes takes forever.

Has SUSE Tumbleweed been recommended already? It's nearly flawless, and you'll learn a lot. It's as stable as any other distro I've used, and as nearly bleeding edge as Arch is. I enjoy it a lot. Arch updates tend to break things, and it's up to the user to fix them. It's always great to check the forums before performing an update, and be ready to reinstall if all else fails. Both are great choices. I tend to prefer TW however.

Thanks for answering perfectly in my absence.

Look your going to get a billion people trying to convince you into their favorite distressed. Ignore it. Try things for your self ... District hop. Find what you like best and use it. They are all tools and you choose your tools.. Its just like the craftsman vs any other tool brand argument. As for desktop environments these are usually district independent. I would choose kde.. Its familar and easy to pick up.. No frills and honestly I'll toss my recommendation in.. If you want a distro you simply can't break.. Go Opensuse.. @Quixotic_Autocrat .. Want to quiet the distro craze?

I agree Distro doesn't really matter. If you want a distro that stays out of the way I would go with opensuse leap or mint like @MisteryAngel said.

Sabayon, Opensuse Tumbleweed and Manjaro are the closest to just working if you need really new packages. Which you may need if you are doing dev/retainer work.

If kernel work is your game then Fedora makes the most sense.

But any distro can be set up to do any work. It is the beauty of Linux.

1 Like

Just make some VMs try all the ones YOU think you will like and then pick one. Its not like its set in stone that you can only use one and you have to keep using it. Find one you think you like and install it as you main OS then when you find something you don't like change it or install another one.

1 Like

Couldn't have said it better myself

+1 to that

That is a very suiting picture LOL. Thanks for the +1

1 Like

Not a problem cutie

1 Like

I don't have the time, I wanted some suggestions of distros worth checking out so I can reduce the amount of Distros I need to try out.

I tend to use *buntus but its just not playing nicely and I keep having things break, Gnome constantly crashes for me on buntu gnome. And Debian was going to take too long to get up and running

also ubuntu was sapping my battery like a hungry bear.

Debian is not all that hard to get setup. You can even download a iso that already has the GUI and most "normal" programs included with it. check out the top distros on here. Its going to help you see what is popular at the time. Then you can look more into them and from there see which one you want to install.This is what I personally suggest. The only reason I do so is what you can learn from setting it up yourself. Doing so has taught me more in the last 24 hours than I have ever learned from using *buntu for 3 years.

My Wireless drivers aren't in the repos (its an intel card), track point drivers are missing.