Linux Biometrics Suggestion?

I thought I’d ask to see if anyone has used a fingerprint usb or other device successfully with Linux. Possibly only allowing the secondary or primary means of accessing files remotely or locally with the fingerprint scanner.

Maybe locking access unless you have the biometric data?

Has anyone played with this or thing it’s overkill or not effective?

Thought I’d see what people think or have experienced.

I also considered a CAC card… but not sure if it would be a pain to make for use or cost prohibitive.

I guess I’m still OPSEC oriented.

1 Like

I dunno, fingerprint/ card still sounds like a username, not a passphrase…

1 Like

I just wondered if maybe someone in the linux community had designed a way to use biometrics such as a fingerprint to possibly encrypt data so it’s useless without that fingerprint data… Maybe thats to complicated or a superficial appearance of security… I dont know I used to use a CAC card all the time, but I dont know. Just though I’d see what people thought.

1 Like

It is a fair question, and smart cards / biometrics Are used to unlock devices, seems logical to integrate data unlocking too.

1 Like

I heard the problem has always been that the fingerprint reader firmwares/drivers are proprietary and no one has any interest in reverse engineering it. Can anyone confirm?

2 Likes

Thought it might be a smart way to encrypt data for cloud BU as well possibly… if this isn’t utilized or created in someway, would it be possible? Maybe profitable?

1 Like

That’s true. I also wonder what the data file for the print looks like and if it would be possible to use that data as the “key” for the Cypher of the data.

Admittedly I have zero programming experience, but I am getting better at reading code. That’s why I am loving linux because I can actually SEE what my pc is doing if I want to.

1 Like

I think the usefulness of biometrics are overshadowed by the development of hardware keys like yubikey. After all if your fingerprints are compromised (as in if the attacker gets a copy of your fingerprint), there is no way to uncomprise it because it is permanently stuck on your hand.

3 Likes

You might be looking at it wrong; you just want the biometric to be the passphrase that unlocks a data store.

So the encrypting software can be anything, just need an app/program to get a key phrase from a biometric reader.

Obviously you could bundle them into one package, or whatever, I don’t think that is the hurdle.

The biggest hurdle is how temperamental biometrics are.
Fingerprint readers to unlock devices need to save a bunch of angles, because the flesh moves, and might be presented in different orientations.

Your phone might be taking 100 pictures of your finger a second, trying to compare it to a print it has on file, and the “hello” face unlocking can take a bit of waving before it recognises?

1 Like

True, or the data file that simulates it. A usb key option was the other thought I had as well…

1 Like

That’s true as well, and if that reader fails, your locked out…

1 Like

I am over thinking it; yes, anyone can take your fingerprint and own your phone/devices, but also, anyone can take my car keys, or house keys.

Physical things can be replaced though, but unknown digital copies might be used against you

1 Like

This it true. I guess I’m think of a easy way to make sure my data is ONLY locally avalible

But you can completely change car keys and house keys to use a different set of pin depth combinations.

Not so with fingerprints. You could change it temporarily but it reverts back. You could also change it permanently but in an extreme destructive/catastrophic ways:

• Amputation. - self explanatory
  • Subdermal destruction - via caustic/thermal/incisional removal of the dermal layer, causing scar formation that is devoid of the usual topographic markers used for identification.

Anyway… you could not reliably change your fingerprint into a pattern that is compatible with new topographic “whorl” features to make new unique unpredictable combinations. If you can, you should probably talk at DefCon or something…

2 Likes

Hence the

Because it can’t be changed, and can be copied/replicated/leaked/stolen

(I guess my meaning was not as clear as I intended)

1 Like

A

Additionally you can be coerced into unlocking said device or data. By either a malicious person (by threat of violence) or the police/courts (here in the us anyways).

2 Likes

True, be nice to have a chip I could destry if need be…not that I have any information to hide lol.

Worse than coercion, like a passphrase can be coerced; Stolen by courts/Fed/Leo, without consent.

Like, they can compel you under threat of prison to give a passphrase, and lock you up for non-compliance, but they can steal your biometrics to unlock it. And I would say holding a phone up to your face is stealing access that you don’t permit, rather than coercion/encouragement/request which you can deny.

That is just my opinion.

As far as I know, the only guys put in prison for not sharing passphrases are suspected pedo’s, so the media not making a fuss. If the LEO stole biometrics, it would get around that.

1 Like

Well thats not my case thankfully. LOL

1 Like

That’s good, and glad you have control over who might use your new software in the future :slight_smile:

Seriously, there is not a lot of people who would go to prison as a suspected P just on the principal of a law that is ethically and morally wrong.

1 Like