Linux and the RTX Cards

compatibility and ease of use are two different things :slight_smile:

OpenSUSE and Manjaro are both compatible, Manjaro is just easier to get it running thanks to MHWD.

Alternatively you can use nouveau.modeset=0 acpi_rev_override=1 as the grub command. Modprobe works it’s just an older command
The installer works fine. There is some documentation out there that teaches you how to akmod the install effectively doing what dkms does. Its just different strokes for different folks

1 Like

Send me RTX card…?
I can do some testing on Fedora 29 and 30.

This is what I want. I don’t mind messing around with configs. But I don’t want it to take an entire day to get running.

You shouldn’t have to. I use opensuse and after adding the official nvidia repo it just works. Back in 2016 when I used manjaro it was pretty easy too. I get the feeling that something else is going on like its using nouveau for some reason.

I hear ya, I still run Manjaro or a variant of it as my primary distro still. I really like MX Linux, but package compatability for Hydrus isn’t the best right now.

Heim mentioned another way of doing it, but using modprobe blacklist lines has always been more effective in my experience compared to using modesets.

Yea he might have to do that, but I’m still waiting on the output of lspci before I overwhelm him with shots in the dark.

Fair enough. I may be shooting in the dark, but given I’ve had multiple configurations to do with Nvidia GPUs from the GTX 10XX and RTX 20XX lines, the command hasn’t failed me yet for getting the ability to boot liveUSB systems and fresh installs that don’t have the proprietary drivers yet.

Keep in mind it’s better to learn how to solve problems than to learn the solution to a problem. Following a troubleshooting process will help him in the future.

Too bad learning how to troubleshoot is what scares most off. Kinda why no matter how much people try to ‘convert’ windows users, only to be met with fear of the unknown and stories about how “awful” getting a linux distro running can be.

I see it as something that comes after you actually have a working system with the help of those who already know the process.

Well to be honest. It has gotten a whole bunch easier. With POP!_OS, Linux Mint, and Fedora being so easy to install nowadays

@ChristopherBare did you get anywhere with sudo lspci -k?

1 Like

I’m just going to shut this down now, don’t tell OP to install another distro when there are still potential solutions that can be done on his current distro. Thread has been cleaned up.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t have made the suggestion if OP had not already stated that they had already tried several different distros to troubleshoot the issue.

Probably not that helpful, but I have an RTX 2070 working with Fedora 30. Using the “normal” non-free drivers from rpmfusion repo. Only snag I have is that it waits for about a minute on startup (waiting for some udev stuff or somesuch) after switching to the RTX from an older AMD card. Otherwise it works perfectly with games and overclocking with Green with Envy,

I’m going to be honest, I forgot about this thread, because my CPU pump died shortly after that. Just got a new one today. Here is the output for lspci -k

2 Likes

Okay, so I have a working system now. Now I just need to use the correct drivers. I installed with the manjaro 18.1 testing iso. Which seems to have an updated nouveau driver. However, now I can’t seem to install nvidia drivers on the system. Everytime I try, it just goes to black screen on reboot. But when I remove them again, it works fine. Mhwd is using the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee driver. Any clues?

do you have an intel CPU with graphics?

Yes, I do. I’m running a 4770k with an RTX 2060.