Return to Level1Techs.com

Linux and ryzen 5 3600; what MB?

amd
cpu

Hello, I’m new here so sorry if I post in the wrong place.

I was long time looking forward to Zen2 to finally level up my desktop.

This is a linux only gaming machine, so good linux support is imperative.

First of all i want to make clear my game are not too demanding in graphics and im ok to settle at mid-low range.

So first step would be to move to a Ryzen 5 3600, with no plan to OC, and get some DDR4 (2900MHz), while for GPU at least for now I will still use the HD7850 that so far is running great (and is used at 50-70% with most games), the RevoDrive X2 as ssd, and the classic HDD.

[wishlist]
I would probably like to have compatibility with PCIe 4.0, if is reasonable, for later upgrade of the GPU.

would be nice to do OC, and i read should be relatively easy, so im willing to keep the opportunity open if is not a big price

price of the MotherBoard less than 200€?

0 Likes

If you aren’t aware yet… The 5.x kernels aren’t booting on 3rd gen ryzen

0 Likes

Im sure is going to be fix :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I paried my R5 3600 with a MSI B450M Mortar. @nx2l thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

BIOSes with the rdrand fix for systemd are being rolled out. Gigabyte Motherboards got them first.

B450 Tomahawk is a good choice and won’t break the bank. Wait for the new BIOS first though before continuing.

0 Likes

nice.
I am still thinking about low end x570 MB, i will wait a month or two for price and review to come out, and all those issue to stabilize

edit:looks like MSI B450-A PRO would be good for my need, is basically a Tomahawk without RGB and such

0 Likes