Linux ACPI errors + boot problems on my laptop

Hi guys,
I recently bought an hp laptop (HP 17-cb0011nv) and I was trying to install linux on it. I tried to install several distros on it, like Ubuntu 18.04.3, 19.04 and even 19.10. The installation process was very buggy and after multiple tries I was able to install all of the above versions of Ubuntu. But none of them were stable. During the startup sequence the most frequent outcome were either a blank screen or the splash screen running indefinitely. When on the splash screen, by pressing f3 I would get a fast never ending scrolling all of text with ACPI errors. I then tried to boot with ACPI=off from the grub menu and as a result it would crash around 30 seconds of usage or get a kernel panic (more often). After that I tried several other flags like nolapic which seem to work more often (even though the performance suffers greatly). I am seriously very frustrated by this, and I have spent a lot of time already trying to fix it. Do you have any idea how can I fix it?
w

The first thing I would try would be a UEFI/BIOS update to see if that fixes it.

Unfortunately I have tried that already :frowning:

try adding the kernel parameter
pci=nommconf

1 Like

That was it!!! Thank you very much for your suggestion, you saved me a lot of time and frustration. I tested your fix multiple times, and it was very stable (no issues so far).

1 Like

that parameter will cause a slight performance drop, but it may or may not be negligible depending on what you demand of the system.