Linus Torvalds Wishes Intel's AVX-512 A Painful Death

this has never been a good measure of performance

through put speeds… fuck how fast the clock is… how much data can you process through your transistor package ? thats my only care thats real world…

size doesn’t matter my g5 quad (970mp2.5ghz) on 90nm vs my 14nm ryzen 3 1200 3.1ghz

my g5 quad is better at video production, ffmpeg mp4 h264/h65 conversions

but its shit at video playback its shit at audio capture w/o a interface and digital art it suffers because of the way the chip handled the io and communicated with the pcie bus

leave everything to the cpu and its a golden experience plug something in (thats not fw) its gonna be a nightmare

“intel adding things that could be external to their shit is shit” is just good constructive criticism

1 Like

It may not be good, but it is useful-ish.

“Instructions (of what kind?) per watthour used” may be more accurate, does not give a complete picture either.

4 Likes

A combination would be awesome

You’d be able to see both peak performance and efficiency

4 Likes

Ineed AVX512 and all of the SIMD instructions have a bit of a problem where you need extended instruction sets, and use intrinsics in your code that change w/ every new iteration.

The vector engine approach of RISC-V does look like it could be quite a bit more stable over time, while working with chips of different internal capabilities.

1 Like

I love true risc computers while io has suffered from my experience processor through put is amazing

I have so much more use out of my g5 quad 970mp dual power pc (power 4-5 based) then a over clocked intel i5 7th gen quad core (razor laptop) a ryzen 3 1200 (tower)

Ffmpg h264-h265 it’s faster

I wish we had more true risc consumer products where it’s screamed about being risc

Riscv is going to fuck over the way we look at computers

I hope RISC-V takes off.

I’m rooting for it to beat up ARM and take away it’s lunch money.

1 Like

I just want a true risc consumer computer that isn’t arm86 based

Intel ruined its chances by being a bloated whale yes nothing can touch you but you are a fat sticky explosion mess when you are all washed up

1 Like

It’s interesting that Apple chose to go from x86 to ARM and not RISC-V. Why give ARM all that licensing money? It truly could have been a paradigm change in computing if they went with Risc-v.

1 Like

Here, the thing is the you’re looking at it from a general performance perspective, rather than a “how do we establish some proprietary lock in to intel” perspective.

Not really.

They have a well established ARM based ecosystem (10+ years of development of their own custom arm-based designs), and RISC-V is not real world proven.

ARM has a massive number of developers and has a 35+ year history for the kinks to be worked out. It was available on end user computers in 1987.

Apple going RISC-V would be absolutely insane. The licensing fee(s)? Not a big deal (I mean, ARM based processors are used in tiny cheap devices, so it isn’t much), and Apple’s customers aren’t super cost sensitive.

They’d be throwing away decades of base-level ARM refinement, and at least 1 decade of their own development. For what? What’s the net win for Apple here? An open platform anyone else can more easily clone? Why would they even want that?

If RISC-V was around 15 years ago, maybe they would have been on board. But that ship sailed in 2005 or so, and Apple committed to what was available when they needed a new arch. Right now the reasons to switch just aren’t there.

Ditto for Google with their hardware too btw. RISC-V is a science project at the moment, and until somebody builds something significant with it (or at the very least, until its full instruction set is sorted out and standardised - privilege levels weren’t even sorted out until mid 2019) and there’s a significant developer community with significant OS support for it, it’s a non-starter really for someone building real multi-tasking OS products at scale like Apple or Google are, when ARM is available and well proven.

Sorry, I care more about “End User”. I’m not somebody who will think like a “Intel Shill” and pull Proprietary BS.

We’ve seen the history of technology and what happens when you go “Proprietary”. It usually doesn’t end well for those who want that .

Power9 systems are available, if not a bit expensive. Power10 should be right around the corner w/ DDR5.

2 Likes

So do I, but I was (sarcastically) presenting it from the intel perspective.

Intel haven’t been customer focused for some years now.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.