Linus Torvalds Taking A Break

I think we are so close to that… with Valve announcing last month that steam play will automatically configure compatibility tools for Windows games on Linux (and the ability to turn it on for all titles and just see if it works yourself), i think there’s going to be as massive up-tick in title compatibility because it is now “easy” for a developer to make some potentially minor tweaks to get on linux via steam. If even that is required.

Agreed, i hope he can somehow temper the abrasiveness so that people take it for how it is intended: constructively. As i implied above, most people in the past seem to have taken it as intended: not necessarily personal, but a safeguard for the kernel being tainted by stuff that just isn’t good enough yet.

But i definitely do hope he doesn’t lose his intolerance for garbage.

3 Likes

Except vacuum tubes in cars. Get that shit out of here. Lol.

Just to add to the whole Linus successor thing.

He stated multiple times during QAs that it’s okay, there are people who can do his job. He’s more worried about few parts of the kernel where there are only 1 or 2 people who know whole subsystem and there are no one who can replace them.

1 Like

There is no overriding vision for the Linux kernel. There is no roadmap. Corporations work on what they want to deliver to support their hardware and services, and individuals work on whatever they find interesting. Linus and the maintainers’ group gate quality and dictate what doesn’t belong in the kernel.

1 Like

Agree, and I see no reason why he wouldn’t. Let’s compare some theoretical responses to a garbage commit:

When you could simply write…

Of course, the incendiary first quote is a real Torvalds blast and the second one I just made up.

5 Likes

Well the first one made me cackle out loud. Is there a rollup of these quotes?

5 Likes

@oldgek

does this sound offensive enough for a CoC ?

I am so muted to offensive lang i don’t really care.

2 Likes

That honestly brought a tear to my eye. Hahahahaha. Oh man.

Some absolute gems here.

5 Likes

@anon79053375 It’s my birthday too. Sauce++; :beers:

3 Likes

We have to applaud the courage it took for Linus to own up as openly and honestly as he did.

Assholes very, very rarely do that - and those who do, especially brilliant ones like Linus, are truly valuable people. We have to consider, Linus was in a position where he did not have to admit anything, let alone declare he is taking steps to try to change.

6 Likes

Yep. It was big of him.

1 Like

People talk like how Zuckenberg, Musk or other leaders are inappropriate and rude all the time. The fact that Linus is conducting a “collaborative” project throws people out of their way because may affect their personal job.
But you have to remember, without it, we would not have Linux or the control that the kernel had through the years that was only possible by the hand of Linus itself. I agree that he may be needing some rest and adjust his workflow for a better job, but I cannot see other person in the industry that could lead this as he did.

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone’s arguing that he’s the wrong person for the job, just that he’s not doing the best job possible.

1 Like

Unfortunately i don’t think this is consensus any longer

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/ksummit-discuss/2018-September/005313.html

Reminds me of the tune Right Place Wrong Time.

Right guy who said the right things in the wrong way … :smiley:

1 Like

Nothing new. They discuss maintainership and succession quite a bit. I think the most interesting bits are in Torvald’s apology. (Have you read it?)

I’ll quote some bits:

I was mostly hopeful that I wouldn’t have to go to the kernel summit that I have gone to every year for just about the last two decades.

me finally on the one hand realizing that it wasn’t actually funny or a good sign that I was hoping to just skip the yearly kernel summit entirely, and on the other hand realizing that I really had been ignoring some fairly deep-seated feelings in the community.

I’m not feeling like I don’t want to continue maintaining Linux. Quite the reverse. I very much do want to continue to do this project

If the chorus of people wanting Linus out grew, it only grew because of this evidence of lack of interest on his part. Torvalds got a wake-up call here, and it looks like he’s really doing a lot of soul searching and putting effort into this process that he’s going through.

My bet is that if Linus comes back interested in maintainership, re-connected to the community, cries to engage successor plans will also die down.

We’ll see.

1 Like

No, that’s just planning.

It’s about what to happen when Linus, inevitably dies.

Two words:

Bus Factor

3 Likes