Linus Torvalds Taking A Break

Wot, you mean I’m not superior because of my awesome toaster? Deflated

1 Like

3rd party coc is not about conduct its is about (power to take over control.)
words are words nothing more and if a person is so sensitive about criticism they need to really take a good look at themselves.
it all comes down to how the offended translates what is said to them.
for example:
trans-located cognitive synaptic response syndrome (thinking with the wrong head), something most men do all the time!
atmospheric impaction cranial syndrome (air head) (most women can be accused of that)
and my favourite, Intra rectal cranial insertion (head up the arse)!

back to the topic at hand ask yourself this How many years has linus been at this?
how many years has he had to deal with substandard coding?
would you like your lifes work and the quality youv’e invested in it to be lowered to the point where you have to accept crappy code?
would you rather allow someone to use your code work in profiteering violating the GPL?

If a coder does not understand the standards required for coding they need to learn and follow them or expect harsh criticism.
for heavens sake they are adults he’s not there to babysit them!

and as to standards If you didn’t follow the safety standards in my shop (electrician)
first time offence was a severe reprimand.
the second offence was a 1 month reduction in pay
and the third got you fired.
the point is those standards were set to keep you alive, but the simple fact is standards are set to be followed explicitly with out deviation.

3 Likes

So help them learn, rather than being a bully. There is nothing that says criticism is not allowed. What is unacceptable is harassment and abuse. There is a significant difference.

5 Likes

That’s totally fine. I would go through a reprimand and firing process (eventually) with a software dev in my company that’s not cutting the mustard as well.

But I won’t call an all-hands meeting and berate the employee in front of their peers with personal insults. It’s a private conversation about how the work is not up to the expected quality. And resources on expectations will be provided (if they haven’t been already).

No one is saying that the new rule is that bad or wrong code will be accepted. The new idea is that you won’t be personally insulted for offering bad code - you’ll simply be told your code is not acceptable for inclusion in the project.

Edit: “No one is saying…” okay - there are people saying that. The type who wear tinfoil hats are going crazy trying to insist that this is the new reality.

Keep in mind the BBC is notorious for spreading technopanic, so take this with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

The main takeaway from Linus is this excerpt:

I’m trying to get rid of my outbursts, and be more polite about things, but technically wrong is still technically wrong, and I won’t start accepting bad code just to make people feel better about themselves.

But if people at least realise that I’m not part of the disgusting underbelly of the internet that thinks it’s OK to show the kind of behaviour you will find if you really have been reading up on the ‘discussions’ about the code of conduct, then even that will be a really good thing.

I think this perfectly addresses the key points of the discussion. Of course, there’s more where that came from so I recommend to read the whole thing.

9 Likes

I’m trying to get rid of my outbursts, and be more polite about things, but technically wrong is still technically wrong, and I won’t start accepting bad code just to make people feel better about themselves.

Hey, that’s how I take video engineering. Technically wrong is still technically wrong, like 1080p29.97 when the rest of the workflow is 1080i59.94.

"“Because I may have my reservations about excessive political correctness, but honestly, I absolutely do not want to be seen as being in the same camp as the low-life scum on the internet that think it’s OK to be a white nationalist Nazi, and have some truly nasty misogynistic, homophobic or transphobic behaviour. And those people were complaining about too much political correctness too, and in the process just making my public stance look bad.”

What on earth was he hearing or were people telling him about how he’s viewed?

Is Linus taking a how to kill SJW course ?

1 Like

“Male dominated community”
They do not want to start that fire.

For computers (and engineering in general), the measurement should be safety and functionallity, not “muh, opressing me”.

Jobs and who does them

It is a very fucking hard working jobs. Look at all those women who want to work with hot and cold tons of steel all their life!

Measly 1% if that…

Software engineer

9%

Crying “they don´t take our code” when the chance of a female submitting code in the first place are between 8 and 15% in the first place is a rather cheap shot!

1 Like

We need to fix male dominated countries and wars. Male dominated sports, Toilets and burger eaters !
Males can’t be the only idiots that do physical stunts and break themselfs!

1 Like

coding in any language there is grey areas where code may work but is not performing up to standard.
for example if anyone has ever coded in basica they would know that that its fussier than an uptight english teacher!
even the tiniest error flags as syntax error and will not compile or run!
with python, ruby, ocaml, perl, java and others you code in blocks and its easier the make faulty additions to the code.
while minor errors may not cause the program to crash it may adversely affect the expected outcome.

at my old job we had to program plc’s and slc’s a lot and often had to write the programs ourselves. while this may not sound like its crucial we were programming automated machinery that people had to work around. and someone getting hurt by a machine action meant your losing your job and paying their medical bills.
so to me coding is crucial and yes I would be quite a bear to deal with, I trained people to program these machines and if they gave me crap they would surely hear it from me.
maybe not in public but they would hear it well.

the point is linus bas been at this since linux inception more than 22 years ago! and yes he needs a break but he doesn’t need a committee to slap his hands for being rude!

If you wantwto submit code, submit it. If its redundant, breaks shit, or does nothitg, fuck off.

Thats how development of what runs the planet works :33333

2 Likes

exactly ! either do it right the first time or expect it to get shit on!
to quote benny the kid on code monkeys
"I fart on your code!, I fart on your code!, i fart on your code!, I dont fart on your code It aint worth a fart!

Oh how things change.
Just watched his fuck nvidia lecture from 2012 last night.

“People who get offended deserve to be offended”.

• Linus Torvalds, 2012

he also made the point in said video that people need to know how he feels about patches, etc. so that they don’t waste their or his time going down a path that won’t fly. hence being blunt about it.

1 Like

Fluency is nothing to do with cultural upbringing.

Aussies are fluent in english too (at least as fluent if not more than Americans, we even use the correct spelling of words). However here, often the more crude the abuse thrown at a person generally the closer the relationship.

Fluency is nothing to do with this.

Finns, like Aussies, call it how they see it without a filter. I suspect, like us, they see the language filter as an impediment to communication. And it is. You’re altering your tone/output/whatever to meet some arbitrary (and changing) standard that caters to increasingly sensitive cry-babies, rather than stating how you really feel. And potentially the severity of your message is lost.

It’s the equivalent of being forced to write code for the compiler in fucking visual basic rather than assembler (and thus reducing performance considerably) because some fucktard on your team can’t handle it.

People choose to be offended.

see:

1 Like

Wow, I hope someone covers the female dominated hair salon community. What an outrage those statistical graphs cause. It’s blatant disregard for equal opportunity. I just can’t function without complaining about something I have no control over! Ahhhhhhhhh!

1 Like

You do have control, by not perpetuating the myth that women aren’t suited for STEM jobs due to genetics or temperance, they will be encouraged to go into those lines of work. Slowly but surely that will fix the problem.

2 Likes

Everyone is free to choose their job. When someone does not like to work in STEM jobs, they won´t.
Simple as that.

1 Like

Why aren’t men nurses or flight attendents? Same problem. Some professions are seen as linked to specific sexes. This has a huge impact. Only changing our perception and how we teach our kids can change that.

2 Likes